1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I'm a new mommy to 6 little female chicks

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Johnsbaby54, Jun 16, 2016.

1. Johnsbaby54

Johnsbaby54 Just Hatched

Jun 2, 2016
    Georgetown, DE
    I'm so excited to be able to join you all. I'm new to raising Chicks. I joined so I can be informed and educated on all the aspect of chicking raising.

2. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome

Glad you could join the flock! Congrats on your chicks :clap What breed/s have you started out with? The learning Center has some great articles in the hatching eggs and raising chicks section. Please do pop by ~ https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center

Wishing you the very best of luck with your chicks in the future. Be sure to ask any questions, everyone here to help. Enjoy BYC and all the chicken chat :frow

1 person likes this.
  3. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC - you are certainly in the right place everything chicken!

Make yourself at home.

Best wishes
    Ct

1 person likes this.
  4. Jucodeo

Jucodeo The Sky is Falling!

Jun 15, 2016
    [​IMG]
    That is so awesome that you decided to join us and officially welcome to BYC Johnsbaby54! I to just got my chickens yesterday and they are very adorable! I enjoy having chickens a lot because they are very interesting animals to have. If you are looking for knowledgeable people you came to the right place. Our members on BYC are very knowledgeable in lots of aspects of chickens. If you have all hens get prepared for more eggs than you can handle! One thing most chicken owners have is at least one rooster. This is not needed but the rooster generally leads the hens around. However if you arent planning on mating your chickens I would say a rooster isnt needed. I will leave some helpful links for you to explore our forum and post stories about your flock!
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/11/raising-baby-chicks
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/2/managing-your-flock
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/40/family-life-stories-pictures-updates
    I hope you learn a lot from your BYC experience and always ask questions when you want have a great day!
    Justin [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  5. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

So glad you could join our community!

Congrats on the new little ones! You have definitely come to the right place for all the fun and learning.

You will want to follow all the links provided above for lots of helpful tips and hints on raising your chicks.

So make yourself at home here and we do welcome you to our roost! :)

6. Johnsbaby54

Johnsbaby54 Just Hatched

Jun 2, 2016
    Georgetown, DE
    Thank you so much!

7. 4loveofeggs

4loveofeggs New Egg

Jun 13, 2016
    Welcome to BYC.

8. Johnsbaby54

Johnsbaby54 Just Hatched

Jun 2, 2016
    Georgetown, DE
    Can you all tell or know they answer. I want to put sand in my brooder box. What is the age or is there one?

9. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop

Do not use sand until they are at least several weeks old and know that sand is not edible. Tiny babies will eat it, thinking it is food and it will kill them.

Once they understand what to eat and what not to eat, you can add sand. I like to hold off on sand until they are at least 6 weeks old, just in case. :)

Last edited: Jun 16, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  10. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Welcome to Backyard chickens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by