I'm a Newbie Alright!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by SuziQ18, Feb 17, 2017.

1. SuziQ18

SuziQ18 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2017
    Pacoima, CA
    My Coop
    Been wanting a chicken coop for a very long time. Decided this year is the year. Starting with 4 egg-layers that I have already named, Henrietta, Marigold, Chik-Fil-A, and Hazel. Looking for inexpensive plans now for a coop to house them when I get these lovelies! Looking forward to reading all of your great experience!!

2. PD-Riverman

PD-Riverman Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    You like free?? I have build close 10 using free pallets, But you probably want something fancier?

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Have you checked out the coops section? People often repurpose materials to build a coop or trick out a shed, or even LARGE dog house etc. Often Craig's list has low cost or even free coops that people are dumping because they didn't like having chickens.

4. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hello and welcome to BYC - thanks for joining us. As D/Diva mentions, the Coops section should give you some inspiration for your plans.

You'll find lots of info in the Learning Centre - https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center and if you have a specific topic in mind, just type it in the search box - there's a wealth of information on past and present threads.

You may wish to consider joining your state thread as it will put you in touch with other BYC members in your area - https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/270925/find-your-states-thread#post_3239224

All the best
    CT

5. N F C

N F C Home in WY Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

With some creativity and elbow-grease, coops can be made for little cost. Hope some of the ideas already given you as well as the Coops section helps you out!

6. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, SuziQ, and [​IMG]! Great to have you aboard! Others have provided you with some great advice and links so I'll just say best wishes and thanks for joining BYC!! [​IMG]

7. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under SuziQ18 [​IMG] Welcome!

You have already received some great links and advice so I will just send best wishes to you and your flock when they arrive.

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun. Unlike non chicken loving friends, family and colleagues, BYC’ers never tire of stories or pictures that feature our feathered and non feathered friends [​IMG]

8. SuziQ18

Feb 17, 2017
    Pacoima, CA
    My Coop
    I don't need fancy...just practical and hen safe....Will check your pallet ideas out. I love pallet gardening so I am sure I will love pallet coops! Thanks!

9. SuziQ18

Feb 17, 2017
    Pacoima, CA
    My Coop
    Thank you so much and g-day to you as well!!

10. SuziQ18

Feb 17, 2017
    Pacoima, CA
    My Coop
    Greetings and thank you!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by