I'm a newbie to this site

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Ronda Bergeron, Aug 4, 2014.

1. Ronda Bergeron

Ronda Bergeron New Egg

Aug 4, 2014
    Hi my name is Ronda. I have Chatecler chicks right now. I had a beautiful folck a few weeks ago but a raccoon got into their coup and killed them all. They were my pets and I cried when I saw the cruelty.
    We reinforced the whole bottom area and I bought new ones from a farm nearby.
    I've had chickens before but never this bread, they are beautiful, friendly and good for our weather which tends to be cold and snowy.
    I also have 2 Mucovy. The drake we leave out now and there has been no "extra" animals around.

We a rabbit and a horse.
    We are just starting out as a small farm.
    Before I joined this site I really learned so much about the care of such tiny chicks, I always left they up to their moms.
    You all have a great day!

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Welcome to BYC [​IMG] So sorry to hear about your loss. A apron around the coop and run is an excellent predator deterrent and should help. Hope things go well for you from now on!

3. familyfarm1

familyfarm1 Overrun With Chickens

Jun 9, 2013
    Northern Virginia
    Hi!
    [​IMG]
    So sorry about the chickens[​IMG] We lost 20 chickens to a raccoon in two days.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2014
  4. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan [​IMG] - good luck with your new birds, glad you are enjoying them.

5. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

So sorry for your losses. [​IMG] Just make sure you have a fort knox for a coop and run. If you can't break in, neither can they.

Enjoy your new flock and welcome to ours!

6. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Good luck with your new chicks, sorry about the losses to the raccoon.

7. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

So sorry about your chicks!

8. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you decided to join our flock. Sorry about your losses to the raccoon. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. What breed of chicken did you get?

9. Ronda Bergeron

Ronda Bergeron New Egg

Aug 4, 2014
    Thanks so much for you good wishes. All is going well so far. Lots of "bum" washing for their pasty bums. Cleaning water many times a day and their food dish. With all the other animals, it's a good thing I am retired. I sure like :) yours are fancy, how do you apply those. I'm using my tablet right now not my computer.
    I have Muscovy ducks and have read that their waste is very toxic. My bird man said not to put the chickens and ducks together because of this. Has anyone else heard that?

10. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    So sorry about your losses. Raccoons are probably responsible for the most losses of any predator just ahead of dogs( either running loose or the owners own dogs). Raccoons are clever, great diggers and climbers, just about tireless,determined, and have opposable thumbs ,they can open any latch you can. The favored M.O. is to reach through open spaces in fences, snag any body part they can and bite if off on the spot. They cause horrific damage, suffering and death.

I will get off my soapbox now - I really hate raccoons. BTW Welcome to BYC

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by