im a newbie. where should the food and water be kept

3 girls chickens

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jun 13, 2008
Should the food and water be kept inside or outside the coop. i have a 12x18 run and a 6x8 coop for 12 chickens.

thanks

I keep food and water inside the coop and another waterer outside in the shade.

One of the reasons to keep food inside (besides it getting wet as noted) is to keep rodents and other animals from getting into it or being 'invited' to invade because of it being there.

I keep food and water inside the coop and during the day I keep both food and water in the run/pen. I move the food inside from the pen at night so as not to feed night creatures. I have extra waterers in the summer, both inside and outside.
Anne

besides inside or out i keep the food and water 3 feet apart cause when my chikies turned around to eat they would poo in the water or the other way around....

Quote:
wekeep food in 'cause they seem to eat less starter and more bugs that way. we keep water outside 'cause during the day that's where they are.

Outside, for the most part.
Some late day and early morning feeding can occur in the coop. But the main feeding and watering should occur outside. This won't discourage foraging, as some imagine.

Here's why I say that:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=66084&p=1

An alternative is to use a 'coop' that is more shelter than building, if that is possible in your case.

The wild bird problem is an issue, though, and must be considered. I wonder if we can come up with a shelter feeder that allows the chickens to eat, but keeps the wild birds out. Hmmmm, seems I saw one here at BYC...... yes here it is:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/LC-feeders.html

Last edited by a moderator:
I asked this question too! Ours is inside on a little stand to keep shavings out. I'm going to add a waterer outdoors as the heat increases. I want the chicks to think about supper at sunset and come in for it...

Our chickens have a secure coop and run, but free range most of the time.

We keep all feeders and one waterer in the coop. We have night time predators, so we want to make sure our birds, along with any food smells that would attract foxes, racoons and possoums at night, are securely closes within the coop.

We keep a spare waterer in their run, just in case they wander in there during the day, and honestly, just because it's easy and a good backup.

During this time of year, we probably fill feeders once a week, fill the main waterer in the coop every other day, and fill the spare waterer in the run once a week as well.

Very easy, and the hens plus our one accidental rooster seem to be thriving!

Back
Top Bottom