1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I'm a newbie

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by binkythebunny, Sep 25, 2015.

1. binkythebunny

binkythebunny New Egg

Sep 25, 2015
    Hey I'm new you guys are so helpful
    I love chickens and thanks for ur help now and future

2. wamtazlady

wamtazlady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2013
    Kalispell MT
    Everyone was new at one time. Welcome to the forums.

3. binkythebunny

binkythebunny New Egg

Sep 25, 2015
    Do any of you have an idea for a roosting pole thing where my chickens can sleep
    Because they won't just sleep in the beating boxes
    Thx if u can help

4. MeepMeeps

MeepMeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2015
    Long Island, NY
    Welcome! I'm kind of new too. There are so many nice and helpful people here. You will be addicted like the rest of us ;-)

1 person likes this.
  5. Jchicken311

Jchicken311 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2014
    Texas
    [​IMG]
    hello! You can try using one of those wooden poles that they use in closets to hang clothes, thats what we use in our coop.

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Chicken folk generally use a 2 x 4 for the roosting post - with the 4" side up. Chickens don't grasp like the wild birds do. They prefer to have their feet flat out on the roost. In cold weather they lay their head on their feet to keep them warm. Some people tack an old towel on the roost during the winter for added warmth.

Chickens should NOT sleep in the nesting boxes, that leads to them pooping on the eggs - not good [​IMG]. The roosting posts should be higher than the nests and have a poop shelf somewhat beneath to keep the mess contained for easier clean up.

As your birds approach point of lay, you can put some old golf balls in the nests, to give them the idea eggs go there. Welcome to Backyard chickens. Have you visited the Learning Center - it's a great place to start.

7. binkythebunny

binkythebunny New Egg

Sep 25, 2015
    Thx so much that's very helpful
    Umm do u guys think that the chickens little nesting box shed will be ok in my large goat pen. I have 2 miniature goats cheeky little things[​IMG] and in the goat pen they will have even more protection from predators what do u think

8. binkythebunny

binkythebunny New Egg

Sep 25, 2015
    Oh and I love spoiling my animals but what is the best breed for friendliness and cuddliness

9. Jchicken311

Jchicken311 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2014
    Texas
    I think that will work just fine. I am not sure there are lots of friendly breeds out there, but sometimes it depends on the chicken. I like Polish chickens but sometimes they aren't very friendly because they can't see out of their big poof and they get scared. What about Buff Orpingtons?
    I have miniature goats too! What kind do you have?

10. binkythebunny

binkythebunny New Egg

Sep 25, 2015
    I just have normal mini goats. But there daddy is the smallest mini goat in Australia [​IMG] they just are so good

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by