Im a newbie!

Discussion in 'Quail' started by EggHatcherr, Dec 9, 2016.

1. EggHatcherr

EggHatcherr Out Of The Brooder

Dec 9, 2016
    :D Im a newbie at eggs and birds! Give me tips and maybe links to good, not pricey cages for quails. Do parakeet cages work for quails? Just asking :)

I will be looking forward to work with you all :)

2. DK newbie

DK newbie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2015
    Depending on the species, sex and number of quail, and on the parakeet cage in question, it COULD work for quail, at least with some adaptations (like something soft added under the top of the cage to prevent the quail from boinking). But in general, I wouldn't recommend it no. Most parakeet cages are very small and could perhaps hold a single pair of button quail, but even with just 2 tiny birds in there, you would have very little room to enrich their environment. A rabbit cage is more likely to be a suitable size and is usually so low the risk of boinking injuries isn't as high.

3. EggHatcherr

Dec 9, 2016
    So I looked for rabbit cages, so is this one ideal for quails?[​IMG]

4. DK newbie

DK newbie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2015
    I don't see any measurements on that picture, but again it depends on species, sex and number of quail you want to keep there, and of where you want to keep them - inside, outside, in a shed - and why you want to keep them. And also on the nature of the wire bottom. Personally I don't like keeping animals on wire, but many keep coturnix quail on wire and whereas some find that it gives a lot of foot problems, others find that it works just fine - provided the space between the wires is small enough to give proper support for the quail feet yet big enough to allow their droppings to fall through and so on.

5. EggHatcherr

Dec 9, 2016
    So I found another rabbit cage, and to keep the droppings from falling and their legs getting injured I would most likely put a plastic mat with a paper towel inside the cage.

6. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler Premium Member

I know nothing about quail, other than they don't taste to bad and you have to hunt them in the fall..

BUT [​IMG]

7. feedman77

feedman77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2013
    I keep my quail in 2 x 2 x 2 ft. rabbit cages made out of 1/2 square hardware cloth.

they don't need to be that tall but it's what I had. but you can put a small board in it so they are not on wire constantly. and a small pan of sand for them to dust bath in. I keep 1 male and 4 females cotournix in a cage this size.

if your wire is smaller than 1/2 in. dropping have tendency to stick and not fall thru.

:welcome

8. EggHatcherr

Dec 9, 2016
    I found a cage thats 24x24x24 (inches) is that good?

9. feedman77

feedman77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2013

that's what size I kept mine in

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by