1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I'm a Novice raising Broilers from Day old

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Jeff1da, Oct 27, 2015.

1. Jeff1da

Jeff1da New Egg

Oct 27, 2015
    Nigeria, Africa
    Hi, I'm new to raising of chicks but since I'm studying Animal Breeding and Genetics in the University, I feel I should try putting some things I've learnt to practice. So far I'd say I've failed woefully. Here is my story. I received my DOCs (broilers) on 15th of October 2015. I ordered for 50, one died even before I got home or from the hatchery (who knows). I made a sugar solution and dipped their beak in the water and they all drank. I put them in their brooder with moderate temperature. I know the temperature is moderate cuz they were moving around healthily, some eating, some drinking, some resting. The next day, I put anti-biotics in their drinking water for 3 consecutive days. Everything went on fine until Day 4 I woke up to see one of the chicks dead. I removed the dead chick and threw it away and cleaned their brooder. Another chick died on day 5, 4 died on day 6, 2 on Day 7. I got really ****** and suspected it could be coccidiosis cuz some of the chicks were listless, no appetite and saw blood in their poop. I started using Amprolium + drinking water on Day 7. 2 more died on day 8. I decided to clean and disinfect the entire brooder on Day 9, but 2 died on day 9 but I think its not as a result of a disease, I think they trampled on them. I used amprolium from day 7-10. One died on day 10 which is 25/10/2015, another on day 11 and another one today (day 12) 27/10/2015. So I decided to introduce Gumboro Vaccine today. Although deaths between day 10-12 were more like trampling and not disease related (I think). The mortality is just too much, I feel like I'm the most terrible farmer ever. What did I do wrong? Could Rats be killing them? Help me please. Thanks.

2. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome

Glad you could join the flock! I'm sorry to read about the loss of your chicks :hugs
    The first week of life for chicks is the most crucial and is when you would most likely lose them after hatch. A few things to consider are the dosing of the medication you gave them, was it correct? Also what food do you have them on? Too big and they may have starved. A fine chick crumb is best for day olds so they are able to eat it. If your older ones died from being trampled it sounds like they need more room. The more room you can give them the better. Also incubating and hatching conditions can play a certain roll in how healthy your chicks are. Also the parent bird stock can play a part too.

I hope you are able to get these one through the critical time.

Good luck and enjoy BYC :frow

1 person likes this.
  3. Free Spirit

Free Spirit The Chiarian

Oct 21, 2015
    NWA
    First, I'm sorry you had such trouble. I hope there are others who could add what they think may have happened. Where is your brooder located? You mentioned rats so I'm curious. What were you cleaning your brooder with? any cleansers used? or where you just cleaning out the litter? What is your observation of listlessness? Some chicks may appear that way and are simply taking a nap. They almost look like they just died when they were only sleeping. I just snap my fingers to see if they lift their heads to make sure then feel bad for waking them up. What kind of feed where they getting? What was the purpose of giving antibiotics and what kind were you giving and in what dosage?

The following is my personal opinion only so take with a grain of salt:

I think you tried to throw too much at them. Every time you add something so soon after you've done something else you can compound the problem. Thereby actually weakening them instead of helping them since they are so young. You had listed antibiotic, amprolium, Gumboro vaccine. That's a lot for a developing chick.

When you get new chicks it is not unusual to lose a few from the starting gate. When you order again just be prepared for that. Lots of reasons for that.

Were they in a draft free environment? Even though you have heat they need to be away from drafts. Also, chicks that get cold can huddle together to keep warm and end up smothering to death another chick. Make sure that the area they are in have heat and a cooler spot so they can go back and forth to regulate their own body heat. Being too warm can be bad too.

Personally, I never use sugar water. When I bring new chicks home I put them in a place where they will be kept safe from predators including mice, rats, snakes, cats. I dip their beaks in the water first thing when I transfer them over one at a time until they are all back together. I provide a fresh mixture of electrolytes (vitamins) every day for three days, then they just get straight water after that. I do not give any antibiotics at all. Antibiotics should NEVER be used unless it is an emergency and you know what you are treating for to get the right kind for the right illness/disease. They are not a preventative and can compromise already healthy systems.

Instead of cleaning the litter I first provide the initial bed of wood shavings about 2-3 inches deep to absorb any spilled water or moisture in the poop. When it gets soiled I add another layer on top just to cover the soiled litter. I do that 2 or 3 times then I will remove it all completely and replace with fresh litter. I never use cleaning supplies or chemicals. If you have to wash it out just use plain water. While you don't want them exposed to harmful bacteria when they are babies you do want them exposed to a little bit that is generated from their pooping. That way they can develop an immunity to some strains of bacteria.

I don't know what the blood in the poop was and could have been from anything not just cocci. I don't know enough about cocci to give any advice.

And please understand I'm not an authority on chickens and am only providing my opinions and what I have done successfully. I hope you will do a little research and try again. Don't feel like a failure, just a hard learning experience. We've all been there one way or another. Good luck on your next attempt.

2 people like this.
  4. Jeff1da

Jeff1da New Egg

Oct 27, 2015
    Nigeria, Africa
    Well my brooder is in an uncompleted building right beside my house so I feel it might be exposed to rat or other rodents. Yes I cleaned the brooder once with an antiseptic, other than that I just remove the old wood shavings and replace 'em with new ones. I feed them with a feed I bought in the local store called "broiler starter feed". My observation of listlessness is that they're so weak, hardly move around, I even try to poke them mildly with a stick or my finger but would barely move unlike the healthy ones who would even try to peck the wood or my finger. Thanks for your opinion on this, I gave those anti-biotics for nothing, I thought it was a means of prevention of disease. And are you suggesting that I don't use any vaccines unless there's symptoms of a disease? That I only use Vitamins?

5. Free Spirit

Free Spirit The Chiarian

Oct 21, 2015
    NWA
    I really wish I could give better advise.

I asked about cleansers because I'm not sure how the fumes can affect the birds. Some cleaners like ammonia can be very bad. I really don't think it's rats or they would have been chewed on. But would suggest that you have something to cover the brooder box (like chicken wire, or better hardware cloth). If you're in Africa then I would assume snakes could be an issue to so something small enough that they can't fit through.

Antibiotics shouldn't be used unless it's absolutely needed and is not a prevention. However, vaccines may be a different story. If you have a particular disease in your area that you need to be concerned about, and there is a vaccine available, then it may be important to vaccinate for the particular disease of concern.

Vitamins are good to give in the first few days and get them off to a good start or anytime when a chicken is beginning to look poorly. Sick birds will need to be treated for the illness they have accordingly (whether you need to administer antibiotics or wormer) and the vitamins are to help give their immune system a boost after treating for the sickness.

Also, do need to make sure the feed is small enough for the birds to ingest. If they can't eat it they will starve.

I honestly don't know why you lost so many birds unless they had contracted something before you received them or were just weak from the beginning.

6. trailrider330

trailrider330 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2013
    Midwest America
    Welcome to the BYC flock! We are glad you joined us!

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

I answered your other post.

7. jk47

jk47 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2013
    CA
    What I do is clean and disinfect with virocide
    1 week before the birds arrive
    I do the same with feeders/waterter
    Then the morning the birds arrive I turn the heat lamb on to heat the brooder
    I give the new birds electrolytes and probotic
    Water and I make sure the all are drinking then I add the feeders .
    This is what I do
    I would advise not giving antibiotic or sulfar drugs all at once then giving vac. Day olds cant handle that much stress at once
    It could of been just that you got a bad batch
    I once got a batch and half died in 2 days it just happens try again next time

8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Welcome to BYC chickens - I'm sorry you had so much bad luck with these birds. Maybe you need to order from a different supplier, or try a different meat bird breed. I think maybe it would be good to try a small amount like 12 birds so you won't have much of a financial investment in them. If they do well then get more.

9. Jeff1da

Jeff1da New Egg

Oct 27, 2015
    Nigeria, Africa
    Thank you all for your help, yea I think I might have over-stressed them with the rate at which I give them drugs and vaccines. I'll ease up on that. I appreciate all of you. And sorry for the multiple posts, I'm new on here so I thought the posts were not active, so I posted new ones.

10. Free Spirit

Free Spirit The Chiarian

Oct 21, 2015
    NWA
    It's ok. The next time you post a question and it doesn't get answered you can always go back to your thread (original post) and put another post in that thread with something along the lines of "I still need help, anybody?" and add any additional information you may have between the time of your original post and then next one in your thread. That way you still have one thread but it gets brought back up to the list of new posts so people who may have missed it the first time (before it got buried) can see it and you're not trying to type the same information twice.

You've come to the right place for answers. We'll all be here when you have more questions. Try again with your new knowledge, don't give up.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by