1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I'm a Peace Corps volunteer

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Hasukako, Jun 13, 2016.

1. Hasukako

Hasukako New Egg

Jun 12, 2016
    Hey all,

My name is Danny. I'm a volunteer in Panama. I live in a beautiful seaside farming village in the northwestern part of the country. Ever since arriving here, I knew that I wanted the experience of raising some egg-laying hens. Now I finally found some (even though one might be a rooster), and we are living happily ever after for the remainder of my service here (a little over a year left).

So I'm completely new to chickens, but I am doing a good job of meeting their basic needs: dry, warm shelter, sunlight, water and space. I have three golden comets, and they all have names from the Ngäbe (no-bay) language. The one with the most red on her is yulu, which means mahogany. The one with the most white is named Kenmu, which means fish hawk. And the one in-between is named kiko, which is "to fly" in the past tense. My username means "a resting place."

So there it is. I also posted in the sexing forum to see if Kenmu is a rooster or not. Additionally, I post weekly about my Peace Corps experience at isthmus2isthmus.wordpress.com.

Hope to learn a lot!

2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi Danny and welcome to BYC - glad that you have joined us.

You'll find lots of info in the Learning Centre
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center, and if you have a specific topic in mind, just type it in the search box - there's a wealth of information on past and present threads.

All the best
    CT

3. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

So glad you could join our community!

Aww...love the names of your birds! Peace Corps....wow! I am sure you have a very fulfilling life style. Volunteering can bring great joy to ones heart.

Great that you found the What Breed and Gender section. CTKen has left you with a link to our learning center. Lots of good articles on all the aspects of keeping poultry.

So pull up a roost bar Danny and welcome to our flock! :)

4. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

5. Cynthia12

Cynthia12 Always Grateful Premium Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    [​IMG]

1 yr. left? Not long!

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Great to meet you Danny. My cousin was in the Peace Corps many, many, many years ago.

7. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Welcome to BYC [​IMG] Love your chicken names!

8. Peep-Chicken

Peep-Chicken Overrun With Chickens

Jun 10, 2013
    Michigan
    My Coop
    [​IMG]
    :woot

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by