I'm a real man now, they are in the fridge.

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by DanIndiana, May 30, 2011.

1. DanIndiana

DanIndiana Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2010
    Valparaiso, Indiana
    Creepy at first. The killing was the easiest. Plucking by far the hardest. Digging into warm body cavity unexpectantly icky. Doing the first and second, I thought I'll never do this again; by the 7th, I was already planning the next time. None of it ever happens without the support of this forum.
    Thank you all

2. DENNYBIGGS

DENNYBIGGS Out Of The Brooder

Sep 12, 2009
    nice to be self sufficent good job

3. flowergirl60

flowergirl60 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2011
    Austin Tx
    [​IMG]

4. buckboy101

buckboy101 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2011
    nice

5. halo

halo Got The Blues

Nov 22, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Good for you! And I know egg-zactly what you mean. First time, didnt have to kill, as the chicken died right in front of me. Processed, skinned, didnt pluck, gutted, cut into parts, all without the right equipment. Resultant pieces sorta resembled chicken parts. Sorta. Puppies didnt care.

Next one I planned a little better, got a sharper knife, did a lot better. Even the reaching in and pulling...blech....but okay, was like a puzzle, seeing all the parts.

Did 2 more this weekend, one half grown roo for the puppies, one cornish X for me. Turned out perfect. Im planning on doing more.

Congrats...high five to you!

6. geeky_farmer

geeky_farmer Out Of The Brooder

Mar 3, 2011
    Quote:[​IMG] Best description! Perfectly describes my experience! [​IMG]

7. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    Good job Dan way to put the feelings aside and concentrate on the task at hand, without getting all sissyified LOL. Your next batch ought to go like clockwork. So how did you like the way they turned out and their wieghts ??

8. walls0stone3

walls0stone3 Out Of The Brooder

May 14, 2011
    Grew up farming and hunting.. cleaned my first rabbit at a young age, think I was 8. (didn't hold the knife alone)

Did my first deer at 12, and saw cattle, hogs and such "done" as we say all my years. To me this is just " how it is"... BUT to this subject I'll say that I do not take jokes or "silly" well when I do this job. It's a job and one that wants respect. Last night, as I used the Kill Cones, a fellow came by to watch "the birds flop around".

on went the jokes.

UH! find such things annoying.

congarats on your job.

9. bigredfeather

bigredfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Yorkshire, Ohio
    Quote:So will they be CX again or a DP breed? LOL

10. DanIndiana

DanIndiana Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2010
    Valparaiso, Indiana
    I see you remember, bigredfeather. [​IMG] The answer is both. A few roosters on the way, with some hens as well, of Delawares, Barred Rocks, Buff Orpingtons, Wyandottes. I figure you need to see as much as possible, first hand, to make any real judgements. I wouldn't be shocked if I appreciate CX after this next batch. Fun stuff either way.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by