I'm a really nervous mom

After you've moved them to the coop with a heat lamp for a few days, go out after dark and see if they are even near the heat lamp or if they are sleeping away from the heat source. At 5wks my chicks had been in the coop for 2weeks when I noticed that they weren't even sleeping under Mamma Heating Pad booder, so out it came and they've been on their own since then.

At 3wks old my broody raised chicks were abandoned by the the broody that was raising them. Luckily the temps have been in the 50's and up at night so they've been ok on their own

Well thank you all very much! I will put them in the coop this week and put the lamp on at night if it's below 70.. I guess I'll keep the pine shavings for now in the coop and just the grass in the run with some mulch .. Is there anything else I should be giving them? They are only eating their organic food and water.. Omg I feel like I'm one of those crazy moms lol

You can throw them things like lettuce, or try some watermelon or strawberries as they are attracted to the color red. Mine I have been giving them scrambled eggs. They were hesitant at first but now are like feeding piranha. You also can throw out a hand full of smaller bird seed for them to find in the grass. Also make sure they have some grit, you also can dig a shallow hole to begin their first dust bath area as we as access to natural grit.

Back
Top Bottom