Im a turkey murder!

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by nightshade, Dec 2, 2008.

1. nightshade

nightshade Chillin' With My Peeps

well tonight hubby went and found his pet Royal Palm turkey Tom, dead laying inside our coop, just inside the door.I have half of a dutch door leading to the run , it helps keep the cold out and the birds can still come and go as they please from the coop. Tom must have flew off the roost and into the door, the door did not give and it broke his neck. I am just heart broken. The door was my idea and now I feel so guilty about it. He was such a beautiful bird and great pet, very friendly. I could pick him up and carry him around like a lap dog. I was so happy this morning when I got back from putting our son on the bus and he was out gobbling and strutting, trying to out do the wild turkeys that were up in the field. [​IMG] I will miss him so much, I have no idea how I am gonna find another one so tame and calm to replace him. HE well be greatly missed by our family.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2008
  2. arllcountrygirl

arllcountrygirl lavender nutt

That sucks, it seems like it happens to the best ones. I am sorry for you loss. [​IMG]

3. eggchel

eggchel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Dec 26, 2006
    Both Coasts
    Awww, dont feel bad. This kind of thing just happens. It really isnt your fault.

Chel

4. nightshade

nightshade Chillin' With My Peeps

thanks, I have posted a think in the bst starting the search of a replacement, but I don't think it is gonna be very easy. [​IMG]

5. adoptedbyachicken

adoptedbyachicken Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sorry for your loss. Turkeys are fairly easy to make pets out of so if you find one in your area that is not as tame as you want don't let that deter you much, with TLC and attention it will be a pet in no time.

6. chick4chicks

chick4chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2008
    N.E. Pa.
    [​IMG] BJ I am so sorry to hear about your pet turkey. It was not your fault. Keep the good memories of him alive. Good luck on finding a new pet turkey.

7. msgenie516

msgenie516 The Happy Hen

May 16, 2008
    Nesconset, LI, NY
    Hi,

I am so sorry about your loss. No, it's not your fault, you thought you were doing the right thing and it looks like a freak accident to me. These things are unfortunate, but they happen.

I have two turkeys and they are very tame and I think you will be able to find tame turkeys, also. It seems to be their nature.

Again, so sorry about this. Good luck finding another pet turkey.

Genie

8. BeakSanctuary

BeakSanctuary Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2008
    Sorry to hear about your turkey's accident, nightshade. Some things we just can out-think for our turkeys, you know what I mean? They have their own logic and no way you could have anticipated that, so don't be hard on yourself about it - but I know you "loved" him and it doesn't stop hurting right away, no matter what. Just keep on enjoying the ones you have and you'll be OK. [​IMG] May he be somewhere he can fondly look back upon the way he was loved.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by