I'm a Victim. Everytime I get baby Chicks....((GRAPHIC PIX))

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by bundick, Sep 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bundick

bundick New Egg

Aug 12, 2010
    West point AL.
    ....the weather turns cold.

They are White Leghorns, a Week old.
    I lost about 15 out of 60 during that week.
    I threw out the spraddle legs, one with four legs, and a few that were so tiny, and a few that just died [​IMG]
    All that week the temps were up in the 90's.

Suddenly the temp tonite is 50 degrees. Miserable for those Chicks.
    I moved my Biddy coop inside this after noon.
    I have the Biddy coop on an inside wall, insulated with old Feed sacks, and a 60 watt bulb for them to huddle under.
    I just checked a bit ago and all's well. But I feel angry about the weather deal.[​IMG] What's up with that?
    new babies.
    [​IMG]
    about a third of them, more came later on.
    [​IMG]
    First night out.
    [​IMG]
    sound asleep.
    [​IMG]
    Four legged Chick. Destined for the the Bait bucket. His extra legs kept hanging on something and he couldnt pull loose.
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 5, 2010
  2. UGAchick

UGAchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2010
    Athens, GA
    Could have gone without seeing the catfish bait bucket

3. acid_chipmunk

acid_chipmunk Polish Silkies d'Uccles O my!

Mar 29, 2010
    Quote:I agree. There is no reason for a picture like that to be posted on here.

4. featherz

featherz Veggie Chick

Mar 22, 2010
    Saratoga County, NY
    X3. I was going to say the same thing, but didn't want to start a flame war. But I gotta agree with the others. [​IMG]

5. peterlund

peterlund Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2010
    MA Cranberry Country
    Wow. The 4 legged chick is a curious sight. How often do these mutations come around??? As for the bait bucket... no worries here. It is what it is. I hear that the sexing departments at some hatcheries have a running grinder that is constantly fed roosters.... As I said. It is what it is!

6. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    I wondered about the "I threw out the spraddle legs," etc. Then I saw the pics.

Please edit your pics and remember that not everyone shares your approach.

As far as your temp issues, I'd suggest you time your orders more carefully.
    Since you have had this happen "every time', you might want to consider being prepared ahead of time.

7. darkmatter

darkmatter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2009
    Quote:I have a utilitarian view of livestock, I see nothing wrong with using available resources. I have used my discards for baiting the Raccoon trap many times. It works and protects the remaining chickens. I see nothing wrong with the pic, it's educational for those who have never been around farmwork. Hiding the truth is only a dis-service to those who need to know.

8. chics in the sun

chics in the sun Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2010
    St.Petersburg
    Do you have a higher watt bulb - 60 doesn't seem like enough, even indoors, much less if the temp outside is going to be in the 50s.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2010
  9. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I added the graphic pics warning to the title and removed that last picture. Four legged chick is an oddity, but the last one is a bit over the top, sorry. And I agree that the 60 watt bulb is not enough in those temps. They need it to be around 90 degrees at that age at least in one area.

10. Tinkspirit70

Tinkspirit70 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2010
    Central Fla
    Well Geez I hope you put them outta their misery first and didnt throw them in there alive, " it is what it is" is such a cop-out, I understand that some animals have to be put down due to deformities, some will be fed until fattened for the dinner table but there is no need to be cruel or callus!! and I dont care who I tick off!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by