1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I'm about to give up

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by silkiechick05, Dec 29, 2009.

1. silkiechick05

silkiechick05 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2009
    North Texas
    Is there any way to keep a silkies' foot feathers clean?

Their feet are rats' nests! Poo, dirt, shavings, you name it, they have it glued in there.

Also, what's a good method of cleaning the feathered foot??

Thanks!

2. nzpouter

nzpouter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2009
    new zealand
    a very well looked after manicured lawn..... or socks... [​IMG]

3. Cindiloohoo

Cindiloohoo Quiet as a Church Mouse

Dec 19, 2009
    Southwest TN
    I vote socks....the ones with toes [​IMG]

4. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    A soak in warm soapy water will loosen the rat's nest and allow you to gently remove clumps of mud, manure, broken feathers and shavings. Keeping them in clean deep shavings or sand that is cleaned frequently or on wire will help keep them in better condition, or in a tractor on grass that is regularly moved to keep it on fresh grass.

5. Me & Jack

Me & Jack Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2009
    NC
    It's aggravating, isn't it?!!! But whatever you do, don't try to pull those clumps off by hand. Even after soaking a few minutes I still find those cement-like gobs difficult to get off. However, a few months ago I oiled their feet and legs to treat a case of scaly leg mite, and apart from the greased feathers collect debris like a dust mop, those feet stayed clump-free for about two weeks!

6. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    If you soften the globs and gently work them off you can remove them without too much additional damage--just be sure to pull away from the body, along the length of the feather, and don't try to remove more than is already loosened. A Wide-tooth comb and fingernail brush are also helpful.

7. silkiechick05

Sep 27, 2009
    North Texas
    Quote:I've tried cutting the stupid things off but I want show them and they need foot feathers

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 29, 2009
  8. silkiechick05

Sep 27, 2009
    North Texas
    Any other ideas?

9. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    Wonder if Show Sheen would help? Or WD-40, just a spritz on each foot when it was clean and dry, before they had a chance to step in anything yukky.

On a side note, YOU GUYS GOTTA SEE WHAT I GOT TODAY! A GORGEOUS TRIO OF WHITE HENS, AND A BLACK ROO WHOSE FULL SISTER HAS WON A BEST IN SHOW!!! He has a perfect comb! but too many hard feathers, but the hard feathers are really soft, if that makes sense. I will try to get pics tomorrow. I only paid $30 for ALL FOUR of them!!!! [​IMG]

10. karen71

karen71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2008
    Bear, DE
    I want to see the pics of the silkies in socks [​IMG]

My silkies have awful feet feathers - I had to trim some feathers on one it was so bad [​IMG]

I'll keep reading for the ideas .

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by