I'm about to give up

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by halo, Jan 14, 2008.

1. halo

halo Got The Blues

Nov 22, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I have a few cornish cross chicks coming in my Murray Mc order next month. I thought Id like to try raising a few meat birds. I have looked EVERYWHERE, even called the University, and can find not a single place in Florida to process chickens. Why is that?? I think I may delete those from my order; I know Im just not able to do it, and it appears Id have to cross 2 states to get to a USDA plant. Its ridiculous!

2. CovenantCreek

CovenantCreek Chicks Rule!

Oct 19, 2007
    Franklin, TN
    You should check with your state to see if there are any state inspected processors that you can use. Here's a link to the web site for that department. If you aren't planning to sell them, you may also be able to find someone (maybe a BYCer) to do it for you.

3. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    Go to your local extension office. They'll have all the information you need to know.

4. hensdeliverthegoods

hensdeliverthegoods Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2007
    Catawba County, NC
    Yes, extension offices are GREAT for info like this and are always happy to help. BTW, I checked out your webstie, Greyfields - very impressive![​IMG]

5. halo

halo Got The Blues

Nov 22, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Thanks for the ideas.

What is an extension office??

6. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2008
  7. beekybuzzard

beekybuzzard Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 21, 2007
    SC
    You can check in your county offices for your logal ag. extension offices. They are there to help with anything ag. related. Have a blessed day

8. halo

halo Got The Blues

Nov 22, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Alrighty!!! Ill make a few phone calls before I cancel those little broiler babies.

I love this forum...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by