1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I'm actually getting ducks!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Stormhorse23, Feb 22, 2008.

1. Stormhorse23

Stormhorse23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2007
    Indiana
    I've posted about this being POSSIBLE before, but I did not have the full support of at least one family member and wasn't too sure I could actually provide proper care for them, but alas, showing my mom photos of ducks and informing her that they lay eggs and can be just as friendly as chicks, when properly socialized, she agreed! On one condition, I build a coop to put outside the 100 sq ft chicken run for them and I am allowed a maximum of 10 chickens. I currently have 26...so I will be finding homes for those but my mom said that I have to make more money on the chicks than I spent and that money must go to the duck care fund. So, here are my many questions... [​IMG]

1. Will one pair of ducks be alright with around 80 sq ft of space? Oh, and if they do reproduce, I don't get attached to animals easily and can provide them with care until suitable homes can be found for the ducklings.
    2. Will a kiddie pool changed daily in the summer be ok?
    3. Do they absolutely need water in the winter if they have a dish deep enough to put their head in?
    4. Does anyone have experience with Blue Swedish ducks?
    5. You can eat their eggs, RIGHT?
    6. In the winter, we have a very large horse barn (heated) that the chickens will be loose in. It is very secure and only 5 people will have access. Will a pair of ducks be alright loose with the chickens if I slowly introduce them over the summer?
    6. What am I getting myself into?

2. LinckHillPoultry

LinckHillPoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    That's terrific!

1. Will one pair of ducks be alright with around 80 sq ft of space? Oh, and if they do reproduce, I don't get attached to animals easily and can provide them with care until suitable homes can be found for the ducklings.
    Yes, it should be fine. Mine free range though, but yours should be okay.
    2. Will a kiddie pool changed daily in the summer be ok?
    Of course! Thats what I'm using until I install their pond.
    3. Do they absolutely need water in the winter if they have a dish deep enough to put their head in?
    I keep their plastic pool for mine, but on really miserable days I give them a dish to stick their heads in.
    4. Does anyone have experience with Blue Swedish ducks?
    I have a silver swedish, same thing, just a different color. Very lively little guy with a cute personality.
    5. You can eat their eggs, RIGHT?
    Of course! They're great for baking.
    6. In the winter, we have a very large horse barn (heated) that the chickens will be loose in. It is very secure and only 5 people will have access. Will a pair of ducks be alright loose with the chickens if I slowly introduce them over the summer?
    Yes, mine stay in my barn at night during the winter.
    6. What am I getting myself into?
    Sweet little critters that poop a lot. I think you'll like them!

3. Stormhorse23

Aug 22, 2007
    Indiana
    The weirdest thing just happened (I know I sound like a ten year old getting a new toy!). My mom, MY mother, just walked in, kicked me off the computer and ordered more chickens and then came and asked me what kind of ducks i liked and order 1 male and 1 female. She ALSO said that she wanted to not only just build an area for the ducks, but seperate the chickens into "mine" and "hers". she said i could have all the fancy chickens (she thinks they are ugly) and she got all the layers. PLUS, shes actually building another run and is going to build it to connect with the barn so they have the whole place to themselves! I DONT THINK IVE EVER BEEN THIS HAPPY! and its all about 'smelly' things that are so 'stupid' and 'dirty.' yeah right! ok, im going to kiss my chickens good night, now. I think Wendy might be cold. Do you think she might need her blankey? Or maybe I could slip her harness on her and let her sleep with me tonight. Of course Ill have to leave the lights on. Shes only a pullet and could get scared....

4. deeszoo

deeszoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2007
    Yay!! Sounds like all of you are going to have a great time taking care of your birds. Ducks are so much fun! Their poop is smelly, though. That is their only drawback that I can see. Sand in their run, if they don't get to free range, will help a lot. It needs to be a couple of inches thick, but it will help the area drain. They love to graze on grass and chase bugs. They love their kiddie pool. And, their eggs are simply DELICIOUS! If your mom has friends that like to bake, get them hooked on baking with duck eggs and your mom may start raising ducks, too! LOL!!

DeAnna

5. hcammack

hcammack Overrun With Chickens

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    Ok can you tell your mom to call and talk to my mom? LOL she hates chickens but loves eggs she has also set a limit of ten but I only have normal chickens nothing too fancy. I have set a limit of 15 for my self we have 12 now but I am giving away 3 because they are flighty and alittle crowded but I am putting a extension on the coop so I can get back up to around 12 or 13 right inbetween my limit and hers.

Henry

6. Stormhorse23

Aug 22, 2007
    Indiana
    Quote:My mom used to think they were kind of well..stupid. Now shes hooked! She doesn't even complain about Peter's crowing waking her up at 2 am. woot woot!

7. hypnofrogstevie

hypnofrogstevie chick magnet

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    your lucky to have a mother like that. My mom hates my chickens but loves hers. she is letting me get ducks but i am hatching them.

i dont think my mom will ever get hooked

8. crazy4daisy

crazy4daisy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2007
    Central Missouri
    Well glad I stumbled upon this thread because I am going to get my new spring flock from Orschlean's today and I REALLY want to get a few ducks. So...my question is...can you treat ducks basically like chickens? Can you feed them chicken feed and they will be fine? Can they drink out of poultry waterers? Do they have to have a place to lay on the ground? Or can they get to the nesting boxes about a foot up?

9. crazy4daisy

crazy4daisy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2007
    Central Missouri
    Oh, and do female ducks need a male to lay eggs? Or are they like chickens and they still lay regardless?

10. Stormhorse23

Aug 22, 2007
    Indiana
    I'll use my limited knowledge, then someone else can answer the rest. They do not need a male to lay and water is ok as long as they can put their whole heads in it! Sorry, I am wondering the same things!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by