I'm addicted. Seriously.

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by dreammaker8482, May 3, 2008.

1. dreammaker8482

dreammaker8482 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 23, 2008
    Liberty, NC
    I went to the feed store yesterday to pick up some feed, and lo and behold....they had more chicks and ducklings. Well, I saw they had 4 EE's left, so I snatched them up, and then they had Red sex-links that were way to cute for their own good, so I got 4 of them. Then, I saw the pekin ducklings. Well, there were some guys who were picking up all the ducklings (cuyaga, runners, and pekins) and I heard they were gonna raise them for food. It broke my heart (because I am a big softy like that) so I found this little baby pekin huddled in the corner and snatched him up so he wouldn't become someone dinner. It is absolutely adorable, so now my other pekin has a friend. [​IMG]

My official count is: 2 Pekin ducklings, 2 RIR, 2 White Leghorns, 3 Black Australorps, 4 EE's. and 4 Red sex-links. That is 17 altogether! I think I need to find the nearest Poultry Anonymous group near me!! [​IMG]

2. ChelleEnchanted

ChelleEnchanted Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2008
    Ohio
    [​IMG]
    i have 5 standard chickens
    but, i havent gotten my eggs in the mail yet ;]]]]]

hahahaa.
    we'll see how many i have by the time the incubators put away.

3. redhead83402

redhead83402 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2008
    Idaho
    lol ~ oh dear, dreammaker!! I have been studiously avoiding the feedstores for that VERY REASON!! lol ~
    I already have 16 little chickens, and my husband has put his foot down ~ "not ONE single MORE chicken!! " he proclaimed. So, I thought up all sorts of ways I could get away with a duck or a goose, but, no, it just isn't to be, we DO live in town, and as he pointed out ~ we still want our neighbors to love us ~ and so... I have STUDIOUSLY avoided those feedstores!! ~ lol,lol
    {:>)=
    ~Red
    edited to add : I even managed to get the last 5 on the excuse that they were a 4-H project for the kids, and wouldn't be around too long!! Can't even use THAT good ol' excuse anymore [​IMG]

Last edited: May 3, 2008
  4. ridgefire

ridgefire Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2008
    Northern Michigan
    Quote:Sure you can, just tell him more kids joined the 4-H project and now there isn't enough chicks to go around.

5. debbyluvschickens

debbyluvschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2008
    eastern arkansas
    you all are lucky, the only feed store here does not sell chicks, its a good thing though, because I would be in the same boat as you all, maybe worse because hubby works there, and 1) I would get a discount on them, so I would buy them all the time and 2) I could not sneak them in because he would already know I bought them. still its a risk I am willing to take, too bad they wont order chicks.

6. dreammaker8482

dreammaker8482 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 23, 2008
    Liberty, NC
    My boyfriend said that the only other thing that we are allowed to own is a goose...but only because it would be a watch goose. Let's see how that goes. Right now I am up to my ears in chicks and ducklings....but a toulouse would be really neat. As long as it doesn't beat me up when it gets older. [​IMG]

7. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    There is no support group, no counseling and no hope. It is not an addiction it is a DISEASE! [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] A disease that must be fed. hehehehehe

I want a couple Swedish Blue ducks...they are so adorable. If you want a guard animal, get a couple guineas. Or a peacock...

Last edited: May 8, 2008
  8. ncgnance

ncgnance Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2007
    Iredell County, NC
    We ARE your support group!! We support you in your addiction...now get started on another coop!![​IMG]

9. coopist

coopist Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2008
    Midwest U.S.
    Quote:[​IMG]

10. 55885100

55885100 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2008
    i know how you feel, my nabor was going to send his rooster up totampa to be slautered and eaten up ther. i asked if i could take him. he said yes so i feel good that i saved his life i had him 4 or 5 years and one day something got in his coop, i think it was one of my neighbors pit-bulls.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by