I'm adopting the neighborhood chickens...

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by fiona98, Nov 26, 2007.

1. fiona98

fiona98 New Egg

Nov 26, 2007
    Ruskin, Fl
    I have been living in a neighborhood that has free roaming chickens. I've been feeding them leftovers and whatnot for about 3mths now. They have been hanging around my duplex and the surrounding area in the early morning and late afternoon hrs. There is naturally alot of leaves and bugs around that they like to scratch for, but I'm wondering if I should just build a pen and adopt them? No one claims the chickens and there are many clusters of them roaming around. Currently I have three sets or "harems" I call them, coming over here. A total of about 14 chickens, 4 of which are roosters. I've started to find eggs around the house too. They also come when I call them (or open the door), lol. I've never kept chickens before so I'm not sure what to do. I would love to have fresh eggs all the time though. Please advise! [​IMG]

2. aliena614

aliena614 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2007
    Columbus, Ohio
    where do you live? if no one claims them then i would start by building them a coop! [​IMG]

3. fiona98

fiona98 New Egg

Nov 26, 2007
    Ruskin, Fl
    I live in Ruskin, Fl which is just south of Tampa

4. Blisschick

Blisschick not rusty

Feb 20, 2007
    Shepherd, Texas
    Are they the feral ones, like the ones in the Keys? I don't know for sure, but you might want to look into that. I know there was a big deal a few years back about getting rid of the free-roaming chickens in FL due to worries about avian flu. You may be doing the birds a favor by taking them in and giving them a safe haven.

5. fiona98

fiona98 New Egg

Nov 26, 2007
    Ruskin, Fl
    I don't know what breed they are for sure. The roosters do look like the pic posted in Chickens in FL forum though. I've been told that they have been in this neighborhood for years now. There is also alot of hispanics and some asians that live in the immediate area. So maybe they are imported? They are pretty friendly chickens though.

6. fiona98

fiona98 New Egg

Nov 26, 2007
    Ruskin, Fl
    Also, if I keep them..do I have to cull some of the roosters too?

7. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

I wouldn't cull anything...if they're doing fine the way that the group/herd/flock is, I'd leave well enough alone.
    I'd build them a small coop to get in out of the elements.

8. peeps7

peeps7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2007
    North Carolina
    I would take them in a heart beat. If you leave your chicken out and it comes to MY yard then it's mine, LOL!! Problem is nobody around me has chickens, DANG!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by