1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I'm afraid for my flocks lives.

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by ChickonInc, Mar 10, 2015.

1. ChickonInc

ChickonInc Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 29, 2014
    Virginia
    My Coop
    Okay, I'm gonna admit, I am one of those people who over reacts. But, since I've owned chickens, 3 of them of been killed by hawks. I'm sick of loosing them. I free range them, then they die. I'm no longer gonna free range. But, the coop is what scares me. It's made of mostly chicken wire. I'd be happy to add more wood to make it better. I keep getting this feeling that a owl or hawk is watching. I turn on lights and everything to try and scare them away at night. At day, it's a waiting game. What way could I make my coop 100% predator proof. It does have a run. But, I don't want to worry everyday, while I'm gone. I'll post a picture of the coop if you would like. My last chicken died yesterday, and the neighbors say buzzards and hawks are circling my chicken coop.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2015
  2. cavemanrich

cavemanrich Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2014
    Melrose Park Illinois
    There is little you can do about hawks. Buzzards are there to finish what may be left. I have had losses to hawks so here is my , opinion, observation , and preventative ideas.
    If you are outside with your chickens and they are free ranging near you. Hawks don't have cast iron testicles. They will not attack with you there. Have your run covered from top with tarps, netting whatever you have available. A hawk needs to drop down on its prey, They don't land on the ground and then chase their prey. Owls will have the same approach with the added advantage of being able to hunt in low light situations. So, some tarp, and the rest netting should give you some more peace of mind assurance. Provide some place for your chickens to hide if they see a hawk. I know that my chickens see the hawk before I do, start making noise and run for cover into the bushes . HOPE THIS HELPS YOU. I'm sure there are other peeps with some other helpful ideas.
    [​IMG]

3. Americano Blue

Americano Blue Mush on!

Apr 14, 2014
    Hello Spring
    My Coop
    x2

4. tarajane

tarajane Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2015
    SSS

5. JJSS89

JJSS89 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2014
    E Washington
    Build a coop that you think is predator proof and then double it. Then it's marginally predator proof.

6. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.

There is no such thing as a 100% predator proof coop. You can make your coop more predator resistant, however. The first step would be to get rid of the chicken wire and put up some welded wire or 1/2 x 1/2" hardware cloth. The hardware cloth would be best for keeping out smaller critters like weasels, rats and mink. It is more expensive than welded wire. My run is also covered with welded wire to keep out things that climb. Namely, coons and opossums. If you want your chickens to free range, it's helpful to have shrubs, grass, or other hiding places for them.

Caveman, Hawks will attack even with people present. Pheasant hunting one year, a hawk swooped down over our friend's head and grabbed a pheasant right in front of him and flew off with it.

7. cavemanrich

cavemanrich Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2014
    Melrose Park Illinois
    I guess the type of hawks that are hanging around me are what some of us call WEAKSAUCE. Or maybe its the way I look. I have stared them eye to eye, and they did not come to attack me or my chickens at the time. Maybe its because I am documented to be 2.8% Neanderthal . Back then a hawk was a mighty fine addition to the primitive rotisserie. [​IMG]

8. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    [​IMG]

9. ChickonInc

Nov 29, 2014
    Virginia
    My Coop
    You can make a predator proof coop. It would just be VERY expensive. [​IMG]

10. ChickonInc

Nov 29, 2014
    Virginia
    My Coop
    Some day we will find the predator proof coop. I've started to make blue prints for one. A 100% predator proof. We're humans, we can beat nature. It will be hard though ;-; I thought of a plexi glass run but thats over expensive and would look weird and have little fresh air. I'll find one [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by