I'm afraid I'm about to have a predator problem...ideas?

Tala

Flock Mistress
10 Years
Apr 14, 2009
Benton (Saline County) AR
One of my young chicks (9-10 weeks old) flew over to the neighbor's back yard the other day and met an end with their 2 dogs. Not anybody's fault, but now the dogs like chicken
roll.png

Weeeeelll, now their dogs are showing a lot of interest in digging under the shared fence and their owner thinks a few bricks will stop them.....

I would like to know if running electric wire on MY side of the fence would be a deterrent to their digging in? I'm kinda afraid that by the time they are that far in -- it might be too late. Experiences anybody???

The neighbors try really hard to do right with the dogs But I don't think they actually have much experience with keeping outside dogs (they have a doggy door and the dogs come outside quite a bit). To complicate matters, they have a newborn baby so the dogs are being supervised less than they used to be and the responsibility of the dogs is falling mainly to the husband who is gone all day.
I WILL shoot their dogs if I catch them inside my yard killing birds --- but I'd really rather prevent it if possible. I kinda don't think telling them that straight up would go over very well though.

Maybe they would be open to the idea of the electric fence on their side of the fence, just until the dogs get the idea that digging under isn't a good idea. Good luck!

The electric would deter them, if they happened to come up underneath it, but why not just bury some hardware wire along your side of the fence so they can't dig in?

Quote:
That's a lot of digging work (I was considering putting tin instead, but it's a LOT of work....we share about 95 feet of fence) and I was afraid that laying it flat they would just continue to dig until they got past it.....

I don't really think that city folks know what it takes to build, and install a good electric fence, but I already have a good fence box with ground rods on my side is why I figured I'd do it myself.

Maybe bring up the idea of the fence on their side and offer to pay for it. Otherwise, your side might work, or you could bury hardware wire and heap up the dirt on your side.

Unfortunately, keeping animals of any kind is sometimes a lot of work.

Your chicken went on their property and incited a problem, not the other way around. While they need to keep their dogs on their side of the fence, you don't seem to willing to take the responsibility that is yours in this situation. If the electric is the way you want to go and you do not believe they are capable of installing it properly you could always offer to come over and put it in on their property for them if they're not opposed to having it there. Otherwise the best you can do is dog proof your side of the fence and hope for the best. Frankly, if you shoot one of their dogs after your bird incited a problem however, you may be looking at issues yourself beyond just poor neighbor relations. The work of installation just may be worth a heck of a lot more than having to deal with that at a later date.
wink.png

Quote:
UM EXCUSE ME??? Their dogs have been "agressive" towards my birds through the fence for some time now. I had chickens before they moved in and before they got the stupid puppy that they can't control. I did not incide a problem.

I would only shoot them IF THEY WERE IN MY YARD in the process of chasing or killing MY LIVESTOCK --- WHICH IS MY RIGHT.

If a chicken ESCAPES the safety of my yard, then yes, they may be preyed upon and it's not the predator's fault. No hard feelings about that, accidents happen.

IT IS STILL THE OWNER"S RESPONSIBILITY TO KEEP THEIR DOGS ON THEIR SIDE OF THE FENCE OR SUFFER THE CONSEQUENCES (dead dog, or dead chicken, sh*t happens)

While they need to keep their dogs on their side of the fence, you don't seem to willing to take the responsibility that is yours in this situation. If the electric is the way you want to go and you do not believe they are capable of installing it properly you could always offer to come over and put it in on their property for them if they're not opposed to having it there. Otherwise the best you can do is dog proof your side of the fence and hope for the best. Frankly, if you shoot one of their dogs after your bird incited a problem however, you may be looking at issues yourself beyond just poor neighbor relations. The work of installation just may be worth a heck of a lot more than having to deal with that at a later date.
wink.png

My chicken flies out of my yard and gets killed. Their dog gets out of their yard and gets killed. EXACT same scenario. Fair is fair.​

Last edited:
Quote:
UM EXCUSE ME??? Their dogs have been "agressive" towards my birds through the fence for some time now. I had chickens before they moved in and before they got the stupid puppy that they can't control. I did not incide a problem.

I would only shoot them IF THEY WERE IN MY YARD in the process of chasing or killing MY LIVESTOCK --- WHICH IS MY RIGHT.

If a chicken ESCAPES the safety of my yard, then yes, they may be preyed upon and it's not the predator's fault. No hard feelings about that, accidents happen.

IT IS STILL THE OWNER"S RESPONSIBILITY TO KEEP THEIR DOGS ON THEIR SIDE OF THE FENCE OR SUFFER THE CONSEQUENCES (dead dog, or dead chicken, sh*t happens)

While they need to keep their dogs on their side of the fence, you don't seem to willing to take the responsibility that is yours in this situation. If the electric is the way you want to go and you do not believe they are capable of installing it properly you could always offer to come over and put it in on their property for them if they're not opposed to having it there. Otherwise the best you can do is dog proof your side of the fence and hope for the best. Frankly, if you shoot one of their dogs after your bird incited a problem however, you may be looking at issues yourself beyond just poor neighbor relations. The work of installation just may be worth a heck of a lot more than having to deal with that at a later date.
wink.png

My chicken flies out of my yard and gets killed. Their dog gets out of their yard and gets killed. EXACT same scenario. Fair is fair.​

I'd have to agree with you Tala.... same scenario.

Quote:

wink.png

Personally, I'd rather have a chicken die than a dog....but that's just me. You have a very good point none the less.

Quote:

wink.png

There is no need to be angry and defensive. It was not my intent to offend you. We can only offer suggestions based on the information you provide. In your OP you stated that their dogs became interested in your poultry following the incident of your bird leaving the yard.

Quote:
I never said they did not need to keep the dogs in their yard, in fact, I agreed with you that that is the case. But IF your original story had been the whole of the case you have to admit in that case the bird escaping incited the problem at hand. In light of the new information, on the other hand, it's an on going issue with the dogs which would certainly readjust the onus of responsibility.

Either way my number one recommendation is the same, bury wire a couple of feet deep. It's work, but still better than the alternative -- poor neighbor relations and a potentially nasty legal battle if their perception of the situation (and any evidence of that they may have) is more in line with the original post than this newer information. You have a right to protect your livestock -- absolutely, and for the record my intentions are always in line with your own when it comes to my flock -- but they have a right to seek compensation in the legal system if they believe they can prove the dog was provoked. They may not get that compensation but legal battles are a toll all their own that I would never wish on anyone. Especially a fellow BYC member.

Back
Top Bottom