I'm afraid of murdering my chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Desirai, Mar 14, 2012.

1. Desirai

Desirai Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 12, 2011
    Alabama
    OK.. I work some crap hours at work. Usually 1pm to 10pm.

I'm so scared that my chicks will roast to death in their brooder.

The weather is warming up, which means that the sunroom I'm keeping the brooder in is going to stay in the 90s during the day WITHOUT the heat lamp.

I checked the temperature earlier and it was 110 degrees underneath the heat lamp, and 93 degrees on the far side of the brooder.

I don't want to leave them alone when I go to work.. I'm scared they'll die.

What do I do?? There's not enough room in the house to bring them in anywhere except the middle of the living room and that is not an option. And I won't put them outside because critters will get them.

How would I provide them a place to keep cool?

2. yomama

yomama Overrun With Chickens

Wow, that's tough. There isn't a garage or out building that is secure that you could put the brooder? The chicks really need a place to escape the heat, if they feel they need to. How old are the chicks? If they are more than a week or two old, they may be fine with out the heat lamp, but it depends on how long it takes for that room to heat up to 90 degrees. I guess worse case scenario is you could put a cold water bottle on one end of the brooder, and they could lean against it if they are too hot. I've never done this with chicks, so not sure if it would work or not. A fan wouldn't really work, as chickens don't perspire. Hopefully someone else will chime in with some better advice.

3. Rachel96

Rachel96 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2012
    South Australia
    I can't really help, except to say that maybe putting a bottle of cold water or even a frozen bottle down the opposite end to the heat lamp might work. I try to avoid having chicks during summer because it get up to 45 degrees Celsius (about 115 Fahrenheit I think) regularly during summer. However, we've used the frozen bottle trick with rabbit kittens and it worked quite well.
    from Rachel.

4. jecombs

jecombs Out Of The Brooder

Jan 31, 2011
    Is there anyway you could have someone "chick sit" for you? Maybe the chicks could go to someone else's house (or garage) for a few days. The weather has been crazy-warm here too! Nearly 80 today and it's usually only in the high 50s this time of year.

5. Othylocke

Othylocke Out Of The Brooder

Mar 18, 2010
    Dothan, AL
    Unless you are capable of moving the brooder into a cooler room, my only other recommendation would be finding a way to put the heat lamp on a timer.

6. DirtLaneFarm

DirtLaneFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2012
    Arkansas

Can you raise the lamp up higher so that is does not get so hot where the chicks are or put it on a far end of the brooder? You can also use tin foil to deflect some of the heat.

7. Desirai

Oct 12, 2011
    Alabama
    I have it on one end of the brooder (the brooder is 3ft x 3ft x 3ft)

How would I use tin foil to deflect heat?

8. Desirai

Oct 12, 2011
    Alabama
    the water bottles sound like a good idea.

I wonder, could I take some ice packs and wrap them in a towel? Then the chicks could climb and sit on them and not get dangerously cold.

9. yomama

yomama Overrun With Chickens

10. JerseyHen

JerseyHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2011
    Sussex County, NJ
    Have you considered using a lower watt bulb? Or putting the lamp on a thermostat? I am not sure how the wiring would go, but I know you can wire a lamp to a thermostat for an incubator, so why not a brooder?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by