I'm afraid Peep isn't a she... :(

MalMom

Songster
6 Years
Apr 21, 2013
Colorado
I bought Peep and Nibbles (~9 weeks old) about 7 weeks ago from a local feed store. They were both suppose to be girls. They pretty much looked the same up until about a week ago. At 7 weeks of age, their combs were the same size and color, and then I went on a business trip. When I got back Peeps comb was bigger than Nibbles' was. I'm afraid Peep might be a he, not a she. Here is a picture I took of them today when I got home from work. They are still in my bathroom because we are still getting snow storms here. The second picture is of them about a week and a half, to two weeks ago. Opinions, thoughts, advice?

chickencrazy429

Songster
6 Years
Keep an eye on the color in Peep's comb. If it starts turning red much sooner than Nibbles' then she could be a roo. Here are other things to look for if you think (s)he's a roo:
Growing spurs
Brighter, much more noticable larger comb
thicker legs
hackle feathers pointier
long saddle feathers

Usually the roos take a bit more to feather out completely because they put their nutrition to combs. Someone correct me if I'm wrong! Hope (s)he's a girl!!
fl.gif

cafarmgirl

Crowing
10 Years
Mar 24, 2009
California, central valley
Both look like pullets to me. Their combs are very small and pale pink compared to what a roo at that age would look like. By 9 weeks old a RIR, or hatchery red, generally shows much more comb/wattle and a lot more color. My RIR roo's are always very obvious by about 4 weeks old. It's also very common for a hen to mature just a little faster then another hen in the same group terms of a little larger comb etc.

MalMom

Songster
6 Years
Apr 21, 2013
Colorado
Thank you both for your help. Peep was a little slower in feathering out than Nibbles, but only by a few days, nothing major. Their legs are the same size, and they both have little dots where I assume the spurs would be. But neither have anything obvious on their legs. I just had to look up what those different feathers meant, so I'll start keeping an eye on them too.
Lately Peep as really come out of his/her shell (no pun intended). S/he is enjoying being held more and is coming over to get affection. Before s/he might follow Nibbles (who always wants attention), but wasn't so big on it. Just today Peep cam and sat on my lap and I was petting her for about 10 min before Nibbles decided she didn't want to be on my shoulder anymore and wanted on my lap too. It's not that I would mind having a (nice) rooster, but I live in a residential area and they are not allowed.
I named Peep for those little marshmallow candies you can get at Easter time. A very dear friend of mine us to give those out every year. She recently lost her battle with a brain tumor so I named Peep in memory of her. There's no way I could eat Peep and I don't want to rehome him to someone who would!
Cafarmgirl, you've made me feel much better. I sure hope you're right! :) Off topic, but how can stores sell "RIR" when they are just hatchery reds and mixes instead? I love my girls, but I kind of feel like I got jipped out of what I was told I was buying if they aren't real RIR. Where does one get a chick and know that they are in fact getting what they are told they are buying?

Chicks Galore3

Artistic Bird Nut
8 Years
Dec 16, 2011
Iowa
I wouldn't worry if S/he is behind a couple days, my roo is behind quite a lot in feather, but at 4 1/2 weeks is already showing wattles and streaks of deep pink/light red!

Last edited:

PrairieChickens

Songster
7 Years
Jun 29, 2012
Kansas
I'm adding my vote for female. On the subject of chickens being sold under misleading labels, you'd be surprised. It's commonplace for stores to sell Easter egger chicks as Ameraucanas, and I know that my RIR's were not full-blooded RIR's because of their egg color. I don't mind, because I didn't shell out an exorbitant amount of money expecting a pure-bred or rare breed, and I got what I wanted anyway... healthy chickens that lay lots of pretty eggs. If you want quality purebred chickens, your best bet is always to go with a reputable breeder. :)

MalMom

Songster
6 Years
Apr 21, 2013
Colorado
Thank you everyone for your opinions! I am feeling much better now.
PrairieChickens, I don't care so much if they are "pure breeds" or not, I just want them for eggs, I just don't understand how they can tell you they are selling you one thing, when they are knowingly selling you something else. I would think it could be a legal issue for them. But regardless of if my girls are RIR or not, I'm excited for them to start laying eggs. :)

MANNA-PRO

Top Bottom