I'm afraid Peep isn't a she... :(

MalMom

Songster
6 Years
Apr 21, 2013
Colorado
I bought Peep and Nibbles (~9 weeks old) about 7 weeks ago from a local feed store. They were both suppose to be girls. They pretty much looked the same up until about a week ago. At 7 weeks of age, their combs were the same size and color, and then I went on a business trip. When I got back Peeps comb was bigger than Nibbles' was. I'm afraid Peep might be a he, not a she. Here is a picture I took of them today when I got home from work. They are still in my bathroom because we are still getting snow storms here. The second picture is of them about a week and a half, to two weeks ago. Opinions, thoughts, advice?

Keep an eye on the color in Peep's comb. If it starts turning red much sooner than Nibbles' then she could be a roo. Here are other things to look for if you think (s)he's a roo:
Growing spurs
Brighter, much more noticable larger comb
thicker legs
hackle feathers pointier
long saddle feathers

Usually the roos take a bit more to feather out completely because they put their nutrition to combs. Someone correct me if I'm wrong! Hope (s)he's a girl!!
fl.gif

Both look like pullets to me. Their combs are very small and pale pink compared to what a roo at that age would look like. By 9 weeks old a RIR, or hatchery red, generally shows much more comb/wattle and a lot more color. My RIR roo's are always very obvious by about 4 weeks old. It's also very common for a hen to mature just a little faster then another hen in the same group terms of a little larger comb etc.

Thank you both for your help. Peep was a little slower in feathering out than Nibbles, but only by a few days, nothing major. Their legs are the same size, and they both have little dots where I assume the spurs would be. But neither have anything obvious on their legs. I just had to look up what those different feathers meant, so I'll start keeping an eye on them too.
Lately Peep as really come out of his/her shell (no pun intended). S/he is enjoying being held more and is coming over to get affection. Before s/he might follow Nibbles (who always wants attention), but wasn't so big on it. Just today Peep cam and sat on my lap and I was petting her for about 10 min before Nibbles decided she didn't want to be on my shoulder anymore and wanted on my lap too. It's not that I would mind having a (nice) rooster, but I live in a residential area and they are not allowed.
I named Peep for those little marshmallow candies you can get at Easter time. A very dear friend of mine us to give those out every year. She recently lost her battle with a brain tumor so I named Peep in memory of her. There's no way I could eat Peep and I don't want to rehome him to someone who would!
Cafarmgirl, you've made me feel much better. I sure hope you're right! :) Off topic, but how can stores sell "RIR" when they are just hatchery reds and mixes instead? I love my girls, but I kind of feel like I got jipped out of what I was told I was buying if they aren't real RIR. Where does one get a chick and know that they are in fact getting what they are told they are buying?

I wouldn't worry if S/he is behind a couple days, my roo is behind quite a lot in feather, but at 4 1/2 weeks is already showing wattles and streaks of deep pink/light red!

Last edited:
I'm adding my vote for female. On the subject of chickens being sold under misleading labels, you'd be surprised. It's commonplace for stores to sell Easter egger chicks as Ameraucanas, and I know that my RIR's were not full-blooded RIR's because of their egg color. I don't mind, because I didn't shell out an exorbitant amount of money expecting a pure-bred or rare breed, and I got what I wanted anyway... healthy chickens that lay lots of pretty eggs. If you want quality purebred chickens, your best bet is always to go with a reputable breeder. :)

Thank you everyone for your opinions! I am feeling much better now.
PrairieChickens, I don't care so much if they are "pure breeds" or not, I just want them for eggs, I just don't understand how they can tell you they are selling you one thing, when they are knowingly selling you something else. I would think it could be a legal issue for them. But regardless of if my girls are RIR or not, I'm excited for them to start laying eggs. :)

Back
Top Bottom