I'm afraid they're too cold- But they seem to be doing okay?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Roslyn, Jun 5, 2011.

1. Roslyn

Roslyn Out Of The Brooder

May 14, 2011
    Cle Elum, WA
    So last night, my mother had a total lapse of judgement and decided to put all of our eleven three-week-old chicks in the coop to get them out of the house; considering brooding them inside was an absolute nightmare.
    So she sticks them out there the whole night; it's their first time in the coop at all and it's not too predator-proof. So she let both big dogs in there too to fend off unwanted visitors.
    They didn't have a light, no heat lamp, nothing except for food and water.

And after she told me all of this, I expected to find them all frozen to death or something since the temperature last night was under 20 degrees. The strangest thing being that they were all running around happily, drinking and eating normally and didn't look cold at all.

I know I need to put a light in anyways- and there's no moving them back to the house, due to a lack of space. Do they need a heat lamp? My fear is that they might not survive another night without it. The problem being that I have no place to hang it in the coop.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2011
  2. ichoudhury

ichoudhury Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2011
    Stone Mountain
    Perhaps the number of chicks huddled together created that perfect temp for them.

3. andalusn

andalusn Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2009
    Ridgefield, WA
    At 3 weeks they are not feathered enough to fend for themselves when it comes to body temp. If you already have the light then just get a sturdy nail or hook and make a place for the light to hang from. One of the orange drop cords if the right length will suffice for electrical. Since I don't know your setup its hard to second guess what you need but put your thinking cap on and you'll do fine.

4. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    I put my babies outside at 2.5 weeks old. They only had the heat lamp for 3 or so days so I could wean them from it. They are now 5 weeks old and happy and healthy (and surprisingly take great joy in terrorizing all of the big girls [​IMG]). Good luck with your chickies. I kicked mine out because the dust and constant brooder parties were driving me insane. You could fill some socks with rice and microwave them- they stay toasty for quite sometime. Of course you would have to take them out and heat them up every few hours- but at least you wont have to deal with a heat lamp.

5. tclegg

tclegg Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2011
    Parkersburg
    Y did your mom kick them out? our u old enough to decide for urself? I mean is it your house??

6. tclegg

tclegg Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2011
    Parkersburg
    Don't mean to be mea..love my mom..but grow up...if u r adult STAND UP....DECIDE WHATS HAPPinING>>> tELL HER YOU STILL LOVE HER BUT STILL UR LIFE.... Maybe Im not right and I dont understand...sorry

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by