I'm afraid to take away the paper towels !!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by chickenriot, Jun 8, 2010.

1. chickenriot

chickenriot Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2010
    Brownsboro, Tx.
    Hi,

My baby chicks are 1 week old today and I had planned on switching their bedding to aspen chips.

They are all eating and drinking but you know how chickens have to peck at everything.

I've read some posts about baby chicks getting bedding stuck in their crops and naturally, being new to having chickens, I can just see all 34 of them gobbling down the chips.

Is this a common worry for inexperienced chicken wranglers ?

2. zatsdeb

zatsdeb Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2007
    Lincoln, Illinois
    pine shavings is all I use, other shavings like cedar are toxic to chicks, I don't know about aspen? They should be fine, as long as they know where their feed is, you might keep a few paper towels under the feed container and pine shavings everywhere else. the will scratch in the shavings, they like to scratch!

3. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

They will be fine! [​IMG] They will peck at them, and may sample a few of the smaller peices (My birds are grown girls now and STILL sample the bedding sometimes [​IMG] ), but that will be okay...truly.

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

You'll be amazed at how much less stinky they are on shavings. Out with the paper towels!

5. vstoltzfus

vstoltzfus Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2009
    Lancaster County, PA
    Go for it! All my chicks are immediately put on mixed shavings (my husband is a cabinet maker, so I get what he gives me) and I've never had a problem. I think you'll be fine.[​IMG]

6. grammy of David

grammy of David Out Of The Brooder

Jul 17, 2009
    rural Kansas
    I always start with paper towels, then at a week change to news paper until, second week when I put them out in the coop which has a dirt floor.

7. trooper

trooper Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    Staunton,Va
    I use pine shavings.I find that they do an excellent job and that they are much cheaper in this area than the aspen.

8. vatterpa

vatterpa Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2010
    Indiana, PA
    I haven't had a problem with mine eating the shavings. good luck!

9. Keene's coop

Keene's coop Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2010
    neenah, wisconsin
    mine are a week today too and i put shavings in when they were 4 days old. and yes they do peck at it only because it's something new. don't worry.

10. SilkieTime

SilkieTime Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2009
    Joelton Tn.
    Poor thing, paper towels are a lot of work. When you do change them over to pine shavings you all will be so much happier.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by