I'm ahead of myself...Peafowl?

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by Stormhorse23, Mar 16, 2008.

1. Stormhorse23

Stormhorse23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2007
    Indiana
    my mom is getting as addicted to me at this...so after we finish the duck and layer chicken runs, we want peafowl! ive already began asking the neighbors if they would mind the noise. no one complains about our roo crowing, is a pair of peafowl worse? ive got it bad guys, real bad. im not even done with my first project, or third...or fourth... and i've got the fifth in motion!!! [​IMG]

2. Josie

Josie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2008
    California
    I have never had peafowl, but I have had neighbors that did. I could hear them from a mile away and it sounded like someone screaming. (Not scary screaming, more like a high-pitch yelling). It didn't bother me, but I lived a mile away. I think a rooster crow definitely sounds better, but thats just my opinion.

3. antiquebuff

antiquebuff Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Franklin, NC
    I have had pea fowl and I loved them. I am trying to find more. I lived with a lot of acreage around me so I did not have to worry, but they do scream. I love to hear them, but I would check with my neighbors before investing because they are expensive. They also make good watch dogs along with guineas . Have you tried Guineas? You might like those. Do you plan on penning them up or letting them free range? Good luck with your new adventure!
    [​IMG]

4. Kev

Kev Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2008
    Sun City, California
    They are very loud. Much louder than a rooster and their voice does carry like someone said.

The good thing is, the males do the shrieking/yelling during the breeding season.. about May-Aug then rest of the year they are generally quiet, save for the occasional honk from the hens.

Java greens and emerald spaldings are not as noisy or as shrill(but not totally quiet either!) as Indians but pure greens cannot stand cold winters, many spaldings are able to though.

They also need a much bigger pen due to their being big birds plus of course the peacock's tail. They spread 10 feet wide when displaying so you need to make the pen at least that wide or the tail will get ruined from rubbing against the wire. For a pair often 10 x 30 or 20X 20 minimum is recommended.. but if you can make it bigger or longer so much the better.

If noise is a major concern, look into pheasants. Goldens are incredibly colorful and need much less room.. The cocks do make a crowing that sounds like a squeaky wheel, most of the time neighbors never realize it;s coming from your yard, they just think it's some kinda wild bird.... I used to know a lot of people in Los Angeles who had them despite being right in the city or in suburban lots for that reason.

Other pheasant species can be easy but some tend to have species-related quirks which makes them somewhat problematic to keep so do research before buying.. goldens are the easiest and most problem free of them all though.

5. Kev

Kev Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2008
    Sun City, California
    Quote:Oh congrats and good luck in your hunt! I love peafowl too.. or else why would I have 80 of 'em.. lol Have them in several colors- white, bronze, opal, silver pied and also spaldings in pied.

Just for fun here's a pic of a black shoulder spalding boy(he's just couple months old):

[​IMG]

Can see a bit of an Opal hen behind him. [​IMG]

6. Josie

Josie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2008
    California
    He is gorgeous!

7. Stormhorse23

Stormhorse23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2007
    Indiana
    Quote:I would not free range. If given lots of room (over 1000 sq ft), could they coexist with 10 or so large hens?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by