I'm almost ready to give up..........

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by MBLayfield, Oct 30, 2007.

1. MBLayfield

MBLayfield Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2007
    Wellsville, UT
    So far this month I've killed 36 silkies and 15 showgirls:(. I don't know what I am doing wrong! Last hatch I had a temp spike in the hatcher and nothing pipped. I did see rocking but then nothing. Everyone was dead in their shell. This last hatch I had no temp spikes, nothing went wrong. All of them are again dead in their shell.

This morning when I opened the eggs everyone of them were perfectly formed. This time i did notice that the membrane was on their face but it was loose and flexible so I don't know if they suffocated from the membrane or what.

I've read the troubleshooting guide until I almost have it memorized. Anyone have any ideas? I have 12 pendesenca's in the bator and 12 silkies. I have 36 more eggs coming and I really don't want to kill these guys.......

2. MBLayfield

Oct 22, 2007
    Wellsville, UT
    I forgot to add that i"m using a water weasel with a brinsea thermometer and a flukers hygrometer in both the hatcher and the bator.

3. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    I don't have any wisdom for you, but do feel your frustration!

I've got some eggs in the homemade bator now and I am glad to see development in most of them... now the next worry is that they will not survive to hatch... it's always something to worry about!

Anyway, good luck with the other eggs - I hope you get some good hatches soon!

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. Flufnstuffs~FluffySilkies

Flufnstuffs~FluffySilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    NY
    Thats awful
    What type of incubator is it?
    Do you have them in a turner or do you turn them.
    When I take My silkies out of the turner and lay them down they are not up as high as they were
    and I need to raise the temp by turning the knob a quarter turn. then after I watch it awhile I
    may move it another quarter turn. I use a new foam hovabator. I also noticed that if I lay them down in the direction the turner was slanted they seem to do better.
    I also put a 10 inch peice of new rubber drawer liner in the center of the wire floor and I take a couple of the FAT/HUGE pipe cleaners and make a circle to put the eggs in, that way when some hatch they do not roll the others around like little bolling balls to the far cornners of the incubator.

5. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Maybe ventilation in the problem? In spite of needing higher humidity the last three days, they need increased oxygen as well. I try to leave at least one plug out if its in the Hova and a large 1" plug out if it's in my homemade hatcher.

6. Flufnstuffs~FluffySilkies

Flufnstuffs~FluffySilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    NY
    I for got to say Welcome.
    And I agree with speckled hen.
    After you stop turning the eggs and add warm water on day 18
    I do not open the lid again BUT the next day/19 I take out one red plug for air
    and after they have all hatched I take out the secound plug so they can dry.

GOOD LUCK!

7. Arklady

Arklady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2007
    Kansas
    Temp spikes can be unfortunate and there is really nothing you can do about it. But what was your humidity like during the hatch? I wouldn't have more than 45 to 50% humidity till they are due to hatch. I generally wait till they are starting to pip then add a bit of water. Its humid here a lot of the year so I don't need to add much water. So I don't need to add much. If these are shipped eggs that can be a contributing factor. Often times they get so jiggled in shipping.

I would suggest you try again with eggs you can get locally. See how you do with those. Most folks give them away or you can get them cheap as eating eggs like rirs or something. Can't go wrong with Rirs...

Don't give up. Just try and work out the issues with cheaper eggs and don't forget to ask about info when you need to there's always someone willing to listen.

Arklady

8. MBLayfield

Oct 22, 2007
    Wellsville, UT
    speckledhen, It could be a need for ventilation in the hatcher. I have one plug out, the one over the fan and the other plug hole I have covered with a quarter and if the humidity gets up to high i move it a bit to let some of the humidity out.

My humidity in the bator is running about 25-30%.

I'm using a Little giant with turner and the hatcher is also a little giant. The wafers are replaced yearly.

Melanie, some of the chicks I've killed I've gotten from you. Your fertility is freakin awesome! I'm expecting more of your eggs this week, I think you shipped them yesterday. I don't want to kill this next batch! Agh! [​IMG]

9. MBLayfield

Oct 22, 2007
    Wellsville, UT
    I'm using an auto turner in the bator. Bator temps are between 99.3 and 99.6 with the water weasel. The hygrometer (digital) reads right now 21%.

On day 18 i've been putting them in the hatcher. Water weasel temp in there has been steady at 99.4. Digital hygrometer reads between 67-75%. I've had to fill all the chambers and put a very wet washcloth in there to keep the humidity up.

Now I'm wondering if it isn't the ventilation in the hatcher. I've got both plugs out of the bator so I don't think its in the bator unless my humidity needs to be higher in there too.

10. jenlynn4

jenlynn4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2007
    PA
    That could be your problem. You humidity is to low. You want to keep it between 40 and 50% I had the same problem My humidity was to low and they would get to day 18 and die. There was not enough room for them to pip because of the low humidity they couldnt get in the correct position. Try keeping it a bit higher and see what happens. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by