I'm almost sure this is just a production hen

Shark Akhrrana

Songster
Apr 9, 2010
Chicken Land

I inherited several hens from an old friend. He said they were Goldies. But they just look like production hens to me.
Not that I mind if they are. They are very nice hens.

Looks likes its saying "...say what?"
lol.png

I don't know what Goldies are, or what you mean by production hen, but those look like red sex-links, which I guess could fit both those terms. I did notice the leg of the one hen looks like she might have scaly mite, have you checked that?

I don't know what Goldies are, or what you mean by production hen, but those look like red sex-links, which I guess could fit both those terms. I did notice the leg of the one hen looks like she might have scaly mite, have you checked that?

Golden sex link, perhaps? That's still a production "breed" -- there are a ton of mixes and names for production layer crosses.

And yes, I'm seeing signs of scaly leg mites on both sets of legs showing in the photo. Hoping these birds are in quarantine and being treated for mites...

Golden sex link, perhaps? That's still a production "breed" -- there are a ton of mixes and names for production layer crosses.

And yes, I'm seeing signs of scaly leg mites on both sets of legs showing in the photo. Hoping these birds are in quarantine and being treated for mites...

Yes I am having that problem. When they gave them to me all 10 of them had mites, were egg eaters, and were badly malnourished. They told me about a powder i can use. I've been using that. It seems to be helping . They no longer eat the eggs thanks to some advice I got here. My Brahmas are separated from them so they don't have mites. Any suggestions on what i can use besides the powder stuff.

I use Neem oil for mite prevention (it's supposed to kill mites as well as being a repellant).

Last edited:
First - Never seen a production layer with a head and comb as attractive (IMO) as hers.
smile.png
Most of them are just not my type.

Second - Does she have white feathers anywhere, or black feathers anywhere? Black - Production Red. White - Sex-Link

First - Never seen a production layer with a head and comb as attractive (IMO) as hers.
smile.png
Most of them are just not my type.

Second - Does she have white feathers anywhere, or black feathers anywhere? Black - Production Red. White - Sex-Link

Yes she has white on her head and back.

This is what I have

Back
Top Bottom