I'm amazed!?!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Forest_Nymph, Sep 6, 2009.

1. Forest_Nymph

Forest_Nymph Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Maine
    A few weeks ago, I had a hen (buff orp) go broody. So, to keep her busy I stuck a couple of "refrigerated" call duck egss under her until my calls started to lay again. I gathered 2 more call duck eggs and put them under...3 days later, a friend gave me 3 RR eggs to hatch out. Well, on friday the chicks hatched out . I'm still waiting for the ducks to hatch. Meanwhile, the hen left her nest with chicks in tow (in a confined area) and I snatched the duck eggs and put them under a bulb late Sat afternoon. That night I returned the eggs to the hen who dutifully nestled and sat on them til this afternoon. She again left the nest to forage with her brood and I snatched them AGAIN.
    My point is... both the "refrigerated" eggs are chirping inside???
    Plus the other egg that is there.
    I thought that chilled eggs wouldn't develop??!
    I'm thrilled, yet scared to death that now I have 3 viable eggs under a common lightbulb AARRRgh
    I'm trying to maintain a temperature they require. Yet am having difficulty with the humidity levels. I'm getting only 49% to 60% average on the ACURITE reading.
    Gosh, I hope I'm doing this right....
    Any input would be greatly appreciated!!

2. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    It depends on how long they were refridgerated and at what temps. Refridgerating eggs can reduce their viability, but it doesn't necessarily kill them.
    ETA: With them being duck eggs, you can wrap the eggs in a damp washcloth, or set one damp washcloth under the eggs and one on top of the eggs. Just make sure the washcloths aren't completely snug around the eggs to allow for air-flow.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2009
  3. Forest_Nymph

Jan 11, 2007
    Maine
    Oh, WOW!
    I didn't know that...
    I marked the eggs as "chilled" so that I could know which is which.. I knew the odds of hatching out ANY would be in question, but never thought they'd develop.

I put the call duck eggs under her on the 14th of August. When should they hatch out?

thanks

4. shelleyd2008

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Quote:Call ducks take about 24-26 days to hatch, so it should be any time now. If you are hearing them peeping they have already broken into the air cell. Probably another 24-72 hours and you'll have some babies!

5. Forest_Nymph

Jan 11, 2007
    Maine
    OMG, My pulse is racing! LOL
    I put warm damp washcloths on and the temp dropped a bit, then the humidity spiked to 50% and now its reading 49% @ 89.6F

The washcloths cool down too fast!!!
    Is this ok?
    Now what?
    (Oh, God, I'm fretting, aren"t I![​IMG]

6. shelleyd2008

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Quote:What do you have the eggs in? That would help me help you [​IMG] They aren't just sitting on the counter or something are they?

7. Chicks R Friends NOT Food

Chicks R Friends NOT Food Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    Chariho RI
    Quote:My birthday! [​IMG] That's so funny. Hope you get cute little duckies.

8. Forest_Nymph

Jan 11, 2007
    Maine
    They're in a large tote: the eggs are 8-81/2 inches under a 100 W bulb of a floor lamp (type with bulb facing down) I've partially covered the tote with only the lamp pointing down on them. They"re on a padded, ventilated and elevated level with a bowl of water underneath.
    Temp. currently at 90 and humid. @ 48%

Is there anything else I could do?

9. shelleyd2008

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    The actual humidity of the eggs is not going to be accurate, they will get their humidity from the washcloths that are on them. Try covering more of the top of the tote, or moving the light closer to the eggs.

10. Forest_Nymph

Jan 11, 2007
    Maine
    ...Moved them up to the light. Now at 5"'s from bulb.
    ...Replaced damp cloth.
    ...Took pics of the set-up, but don't know this new camera enough to post it til he comes back from haying later... Also took pics of the hen and trio of chicks. BTW, she's back on the nest and I'm wondering if I should return the eggs tonight after they're settled in.
    Any thoughts on that?

Thanks a bunch for being so helpful! Luv you folks here!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by