I'm an egg thief.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by walkswithdog, Apr 3, 2009.

1. walkswithdog

walkswithdog Overrun With Chickens

Jul 17, 2008
    DC Region
    I have a first time broody turkey who has broken up partially twice and changed her nest location twice and generally made me insane. Add that for the first week ten days she wasn't turning her eggs and I at first rescued three eggs, then found that my other turkey had laid in there and I've ended up snatching more.

She's still not turning them well. Since she's been accepting eggs from the other hen, she's got a multitude of dates sitting under her stubborn carcass now. I gave her chicken eggs when I stole the first three in hopes that if she has something hatch, she'll get busy with them and I can loot the rest without freaking her too much.

I candled the one I stole today and it's a bit adhered to one side of the shell. I set it aside in the bator to roll more often than the others.

With any luck at all she'll have something to mother and I'll have living turkey poults despite her fits and starts and mistakes. She broke one egg, I found it cleaned it and patched it but it failed due to bacteria about five days later. Close though.

Been a very long time since I had a first time broody. I am trying to be patient and still end up with some living babies. Patience is easy to counsel and harder to keep.

2. gabrielle1976

gabrielle1976 Overrun With Chickens

Feb 21, 2009
    Columbia river gorge
    [​IMG]

3. walkswithdog

Jul 17, 2008
    DC Region
    Thanks I could use that...

I also have a broken chicken in the living room. [​IMG]

I'm just going to keep risking death by ticked turkey and work on hatching what I can salvage.

[​IMG]:hugs back atcha.

4. BirdBrain

BirdBrain Prefers Frozen Tail Feathers

May 7, 2007
    Alaska
    So, the mental picture of you and a broody turkey..... [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. walkswithdog

Jul 17, 2008
    DC Region
    You ain't kidding it's a picture. She's not exactly a TAME turkey. Like trying to steal eggs from a velociraptor. Hiss, strike hissssssss!!!! OWWWW.

6. digginchicks

digginchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2009
    Sullivan, Indiana
    ooooo good luck [​IMG]

7. DawnSuiter

DawnSuiter Chillin' With My Peeps

Sounds like an adventure!

8. walkswithdog

Jul 17, 2008
    DC Region
    Quote:You wait - soon enough you'll be wrestling velociraptors for their eggs too.

Hel.... erm...heck, if you end up wanting these YOU can do the egg check ow dance. But I'll have at least worked Mildred through her first broody lesson.

Darn silly things. You should see her fluff up like a giant Tom and hiss.

That's bad enough coming from a six pound chicken, lots worse coming from 15 pounds of ticked red fury.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by