1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I'm annoyed

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by peepmommy, Mar 22, 2012.

1. peepmommy

peepmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2012
    So, I have 9 free range hens+1 rooster. I let them out usually after 10 am and they go into their coop at dusk. The problem? They are pecking at my house! I have a stone house, but they have found all of the wood/paint around the windows and are pecking at it. They are eating it off the garage too... It's frustrating that I am feeding them organic and they just want to eat paint! They are also in my flower beds. Now I know that they are eating bugs, but they are trampling all of my flowers!! Any thoughts?? Thanks!

2. OldGuy43

OldGuy43 Chillin' With My Peeps

I guess they just aren't "new wave". Sorry, couldn't pass on this one.

3. NYRIR

NYRIR Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2010
    Petersburg,NY
    Fencing....I had to put it around anything I didn't want them to eat!

4. BuffOrpington88

BuffOrpington88 Non-Stop

Mar 20, 2012
    X2
    You also don't want them to eat the paint, because that has a lot of chemicals that are not good for them.

5. RedDrgn

RedDrgn Anachronistic Anomaly

May 11, 2011
    West Virginia
    My Coop
    Your chickens have pica and need therapy!

No, really, chickens are weird like that. Anything that catches their eye and fits in their beak is food to them. The only way to stop them is a fence. Nothing else will do, unless you stand over them and herd them constantly (good luck with that method once they realize they're faster than you, too [​IMG]).

6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    You could always put a huge chunck of styrafoam out in the yard. I guarante they'll quit eating your paint [​IMG] .

Fencing is the way to go.

7. chickathon

chickathon Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2011
    West Virginia
    I had the same problem. I had to chase them off all the time. They had food in the feeders so I just didn't understand it. I then started to keep the feeders topped off and I mean full. That way I knew they were not hungry. Then I would hear them at it again and would take a brightly colored jacket ( a pink one of my daughter's) and sneak around the opposite side of the house, gettting as close as I could without being spotted, then run out like your going to kill them with the jacket spread out as big as you can waving it bellowing in the deepest sound I could. They scattered scared brainless at the sight of that jacket. I'm guessing it resembled a predator's wings. It took about two weeks of constant reinforcement. But, it worked. You may have an offender once every now and then, but you just do the jacket thing again. This has cured mine. I haven't had an episode since February. Hope this helps.

8. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    Mine ate our garage door, paint wood and then they were in heaven, they found the Styrofoam. Unwilling try and post a picture. Oh by the way, no one died from eating it. For some reason they love it.

9. peepmommy

peepmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2012
    It's just so frustrating!! I do chase them as much as I can, but good grief!! Fencing is impractical as the wood is around doors too! I was thinking of getting the hose after them!! Weirdos!! LOL, what do you do?? [​IMG]

10. toddreed

toddreed Out Of The Brooder

Jan 12, 2010
    Oakland, CA
    Could a desire to eat paint imply a need for calcium? If i were a chicken and wanted oyster shell or egg shell I think I might imagine paint chips are a good alternative. Just a thought.

But yeah, uh FENCE. Build a cheap fence out of EMT and chicken wire and call it a day.

-todd

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by