1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I'm assuming mutts but any ideas?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Liamm_1, Oct 30, 2010.

1. Liamm_1

Liamm_1 Chillin' With My Peeps

I can't seem to pinpoint a breed for these 11 week olds. Pea comb, slate legs, bottoms of feet are yellow. One has very feathered legs, 2 others have slightly feathered legs, 3 have none (6 total). The mother hen seemed very large (to me who knows nothing), and jet black in color. The lady I got them from told me they were "Dutch Black" and cochin, and that the grandfather was a cochin banty. Investigating those breeds, I don't see much of them, but she said the feathered legs come from the cochin. Like I said, I guess a combination of multiple breeds maybe? anyone have any other thoughts? thanks!

[​IMG]
    Hen:
    [​IMG]
    Rooster:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Princess Amri

Princess Amri Is Mostly Harmless

Jul 16, 2009
    best coast
    They look like they might be part Sumatra.

3. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

I agree with part Sumatra.

4. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Quote:x2

5. Liamm_1

Liamm_1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sumatra would be SO cool!! That's where my wife is from, Sumatra, Indonesia [​IMG]
    Could any of you speak as to why you say that? I'm not familiar with that breed (other than probably seeing hundreds while in Indonesia [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

The roo looks alot like a Sumatra, but not purebred. Long neck, small head, extra length in tail & body, & dark skin.

7. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    looks mostly like Sumatra... but I did see the feathered legs.

They are a gorgeous mix.

Have they started laying? What color egg do they lay?... I'm imagining a cream colored egg.

8. Ariel301

Ariel301 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Kingman Arizona
    Sounds like the owner told you what they were. Cochin and Dutch bantam mix. They look about right for that to me, depending on their size.

9. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Personally I don't see anything that looks like they are mixed with cochin, unless the rooster was of very, very, poor quality. I agree with sumatra mixes, maybe poor-quality sumatras. Dutch bantams have big white earlobes, you wouldn't lose those completely in the first generation.

10. FlipFlopFarmer

FlipFlopFarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

look like bantam sumatras, hopefully the "mix" will mean they are less flighty than purebred sumatras

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by