I'm at a complete loss for what breed....

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Nessabelle, Oct 16, 2013.

1. Nessabelle

Nessabelle New Egg

Oct 16, 2013
    I have 4 little bantams that I got from a feed store a few weeks ago. They might be different ages...I'm not completely sure how old, but I've had them for about 5 weeks. They are certainly all different sizes and maturities (no two are alike). I have a definite blue Cochin, a black Cochin or Brahma (not entirely sure yet), a golden sebright, and two that I'm completely unsure about. They looked similar as little chicks (except that one was 2-3 times larger than the other), but now that they're getting their feathers they look very different.

My biggest question is about this little (likely) roo. He is very tiny, especially as a young chick. He was the smallest and literally almost died from pasty butt and constipation...it truly is a miracle he lived. My husband and I nursed him back to health tho and now he is very active and unfortunately also pretty aggressive with the other chicks. He also has the largest and reddest comb (looks like a single comb). I have searched and searched to find what breed he might be, but I'm at a loss. This is my first time having bantams, though, so the whole world of these fancy little birds is new to me.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

These two pics above are recent. Sorry he's in his awkward, ugly, molty stage. Haha. If you need better pics, I can try again, but like I said, he's very active. His feathers are black and white...almost laced, but not quite. It's like black feathers with a white stripe down the length of them, especially more white on chest and wings.

Also here are some pics from when he was very young:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

A very cute and tiny little guy!

Please let me know if you have any idea what I've got here! Maybe I will send some pics of my other mystery bird soon too. Thanks in advance!!

2. Veer67

Veer67 Chillin' With My Peeps

You have a Silver laced Cochin, I would say a boy from the size of his comb. Cute chicks! :)

3. Veer67

Veer67 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oh and, [​IMG]. Do you have pictures of the other chick that you had questions about?

Last edited: Oct 16, 2013
  4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I'm also thinking silver laced cochin roo. His lacing might even out as he matures, or some hatchery birds just have poor quality lacing. I have a very smutty silver laced wyandotte hen, I think of her as more blotchy than lacy lol.

5. Nessabelle

Nessabelle New Egg

Oct 16, 2013
    Thanks so much! And thank you for the welcome! This is my first post, but I've been around here reading for quite some time. Learned so much already! :)

Wow! I definitely wasn't expecting Cochin just because of how small he is/was, but you certainly might be right. I'm guessing I will see it more now that he gets older also. And yes, I def agree on the roo! He's getting almost mean!! :(

So here are pics of all my other chicks and what I think they are. The last one is my other mystery bird.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Blue Cochin and I believe hen. Very gentle, quiet bird that loves to be held.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Black Cochin or Brahma...what is the main difference? Her feathers aren't as fluffy as the blue one, but this black one was first to get all her feathers. Also a quiet, gentle bird.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Golden Sebright. Very jumpy and spazz-y bird. Shrieks when held and will do something similar to passing out when you pick it up....I've never seen a chicken do that before! Fights with the other birds (especially little roo), but comb is pretty much non-existent...but is that because they have a rose comb? Oh, also my only clean-legged bird and has slate grey-blue legs.

Lastly our mystery:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    A sweet, but very dopey chicken. Towers over the rest in every way...much bigger body, legs, neck, everything. I'm not even entirely sure she's a bantam since it is biggest but has least amount of mature feathers, but my husband says the feed store associate insisted she is...but really what do they know as far as that goes. Haha. When this one was younger, it looked kinda like the little roo I asked about first, but a little lighter (and a lot larger). Now the feathers are like a brown leopard stripe.

Thanks for any help! I love reading and learning from all of you!

6. SilkiesForEver

SilkiesForEver Overrun With Chickens

Mar 24, 2012
    Sacramento, CA
    The blue chick actually looks like a blue Brahma, taking into consideration the pea comb and feathered legs.

The black chick is a Cochin. The main difference between the two breeds are their combs. Brahmas have pea combs and Cochins have single combs.

Yes, the third is a gold Sebright.

And the last looks to be a partridge Brahma.

7. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    X2, with the only difference being that the Brahama looks to be the Dark variety (silver-penciled)

Last edited: Oct 16, 2013
  8. Nessabelle

Nessabelle New Egg

Oct 16, 2013
    Ah thanks so much! :)

Wyandottes7, do you mean the grayish brahma or the last one that was thought to be a partridge? Maybe a dumb question, but I'm new to birds like these ones. ;). Thanks!

9. theadvocate19

theadvocate19 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2013
    Brooksville, Florida
    Well yours looks like mine did when mine was young. Sorry about the picture, it was the only one I had....

[​IMG]

10. theadvocate19

theadvocate19 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2013
    Brooksville, Florida
    Oh and by the way the chick picture was pretty similar to when mine was days old, she used to follow me around everywhere. Total lover!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by