im at a loss and worried.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by gummybear61, Jul 1, 2016.

  1. gummybear61

    gummybear61 Chillin' With My Peeps

    63
    10
    56
    Apr 12, 2016
    chicago
    im at a loss! i know my chicks are now about 3.5 months old we got them all at the same time. i get that they have to figure out a pecking order. my girls i beleive figured it out but my cocker is just so aggressive. the girls are afraid to be near him.
    they are usually fine together especially when sleeping but if peanut-butter get to close to him he out right attacks her. today i had to practically pry him off her neck. he had her pinned to the floor. she was crying.

    i dont know what to do! i dont want to get rid of him. someone said he still young and trying to assert his dominace with them that its normal. but he rips off their feathers. they do try their best to avoid him.

    PLEASE WHAT CAN I DO???? We are fond of all 3 of out chicks but im getting worried. we have food in several places of their are a d water, possibly their their coop could be to small although we did by an extension for extra space.... is he to young to be trying to mate?....i need help and advice.
     
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2016
  2. TheKindaFarmGal

    TheKindaFarmGal Chicken Obsessed

    5,578
    6,329
    416
    May 4, 2016
    Somewhere in the Universe
    How many chickens do you have? If you really want to keep him, can you separate him from the girls within sight and sound until he is older, in hopes that he will calm down?
     
    1 person likes this.
  3. gummybear61

    gummybear61 Chillin' With My Peeps

    63
    10
    56
    Apr 12, 2016
    chicago
    2 girls 1 boy .... we were hoping all girls but then again there was that 99% chance they were all girls... 1% was just so far fetched lol... i will try to keep him seperated .... today i had to lock him in the extra run we have i just put them back together and they are fine
     
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2016
  4. oldhenlikesdogs

    oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

    17,704
    6,054
    496
    Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Most roosters sexually mature before the hens and will make the females scream and run. It's normal, but it's also why I will sometimes separate them out. You might have to decide who's happiness is more important to you, the boy or the girls. If he's being really aggressive than it's best to remove him.
     
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  5. gummybear61

    gummybear61 Chillin' With My Peeps

    63
    10
    56
    Apr 12, 2016
    chicago
    they are usually fine but a sudden move or something and he weirds out it mainly with peanut butter as he trnds to leave jelly alone for the most part. they can be civil but i say at least 4 or 5 times through out the day he gets super aggresive. when we have them out of the coop their fine.when their sleep their fine. he often stays a distance from them. but when he gets them i freak out. it might be normal but i feel for them i do. WHEN U SAY SEPERATE U DONT MEAn GET RID OF RIGHT? i will try seperation with veiw of each other in close proximity. hopefully he grows out of it [​IMG]
     
  6. gummybear61

    gummybear61 Chillin' With My Peeps

    63
    10
    56
    Apr 12, 2016
    chicago
    Thank you in advance for your feed back... i am still learning
     
  7. oldhenlikesdogs

    oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

    17,704
    6,054
    496
    Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    I have a pen within my coop for naughty roosters to spend some time. Some are in there for months, others go in and out depending on how bad they are acting. Everyone can interact through the fence but the rooster can't make troubles. I've had terrible roosters turn into nice roosters but they need to mature first and have their hormones settle down, and the hens need to mature to where they want his attentions.
     
    1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by