I'm at a loss, please help my hen

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Adinafloyd, May 27, 2017.

1. Adinafloyd

Adinafloyd Out Of The Brooder

May 7, 2015
    I found my hen on the floor of the hen house. I have brought her inside and its like she has no use of her legs. I bathed her and didn't see any mites or creepy crawlers on her. She will drink when I hold the water to her but it seems her coordination is a little off as well. I am giving her a vitamin treated water and I have been blending chick starter in yogurt but she is not showing much interest in that. She is at least 4 years old (I rescued her) and she is a red star. She is so weak and thin. I have checked her but cannot find where she is egg bound. Whitish poop with a lot clear fluid (I am thinking its from all the water and no food). I do not have a vet nearby that handles poultry. Please I want to help her so badly and have been nursing her (with hubby's help) round the clock for a few days now. All other chickens and roosters seem fine for now. Thanking you all in advance.
    Signed,
    One tired, worried, chicken momma

2. Hybridchucks

Hybridchucks Overrun With Chickens

Jul 13, 2016
    Kicking Pokes!
    My Coop
    I'm sorry to here this, i don't know what this could be but carry on loving the baby......:(she may pull round, someone in here will come on here and tell you whats up with your baba! xxx :thumbsup Ive just remembered, sour crop? maybe, this is one illness I've heard of a lot....:hugsI pray she gets better soon....

morganfamily6 and Adinafloyd like this.
  3. Adinafloyd

May 7, 2015
    Thanks for the kind words. I did smell in her mouth but no bad odor or anything. Thanks again for the prayers.

Hybridchucks likes this.
  4. Hybridchucks

Jul 13, 2016
    Kicking Pokes!
    My Coop
    you're very welcome...:)
    If it is sour crop, it would have stank.....plus have you felt her crop...? xxx:hugs

Adinafloyd likes this.
  5. Adinafloyd

May 7, 2015
    yeah, feels soft and empty. I wish I knew what else to do. This breaks my heart :(

Hybridchucks likes this.
  6. Hybridchucks

Jul 13, 2016
    Kicking Pokes!
    My Coop
    Im so sorry....:(

Adinafloyd likes this.
  7. Hybridchucks

Jul 13, 2016
    Kicking Pokes!
    My Coop
    Someone on BYC NEEDS to help your hen......im gonna summon someone.....gimme 10 mins...xxx

Adinafloyd likes this.
  8. Hybridchucks

Jul 13, 2016
    Kicking Pokes!
    My Coop
    plus whats her name :love

9. Hybridchucks

Jul 13, 2016
    Kicking Pokes!
    My Coop
    sorry no one is answering my PM messages....

Adinafloyd likes this.
  10. peopleRanimals2

peopleRanimals2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2015
    Rhode Island
    If she has no use of her legs, could it be mareks? You could do some research in the learning center. Hope she pulls through. :(

Adinafloyd and Hybridchucks like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by