I'm back! Bad news and then some good news..

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by secuono, May 18, 2011.

1. secuono

secuono Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2010
    Virginia
    Alright, first things first, I have dial up for the next 1-4 months...ugh. So it may take me some time to answer/post in between me freaking out over the slow speed. Can you tell it's been years since I've had to deal with it? Hehe.
    I'll be adding pictures after I make them tiny and magically upload them after a 4 hr wait. [​IMG]

The flock was locked in for a good week before I started letting them out into their run again. I also went a little nutty with closing any gaps in the top cover, added hardware cloth along the bottom and in the gateway. I dump used bedding along the dog's fence line and the chicken's run. I didn't loose any birds until one day when I had let them out to free range with me. After a few hrs I went inside for less than 5 minutes to check on some things and what do I find when I look out the window? A freaking gray fox! I start yelling and flying down the steep stairs and out around to the backyard. Fox was gone, birds in trees, on the fence, on the little buildings...Then I find feathers, he had gotten one of my standard hens! I followed the trail of bunched feathers out to the barn and then a little ways further, but nothing else was found along the fence. Everyone else was ok, I was able to pluck most off the fence and bring them in. One of the Jap mixes, a Roo, hopped away from me and onto the big hen next to it. So I carried the big hen with the little Roo riding along into the coop. Then my fiance spotted a Jap hen up in the tree, never do the Japs get eaten, heh. Took us forever to get her down, I was up in two trees and on the steep coop roof, almost fell onto the run's cover. That Saturday we got a shinny new shotgun, waiting for that darned bugger to come around again.

The chickens never free range anymore unless I am out in the yard with them until dusk. So basically 1x a week is almost what it averages. I toss in clovers all the time for them, but I'm not risking loosing more to that fox.

We got two horses, the dobie is still learning how to act around them, so I can't use him to protect the chickens just yet. One of the horses is a wild caught Corrola pony, he's 4yrs and nosy. He also nibbles on new things, like the dog, main reason I can't let the dog out into the field. The other is a gray Paint mare, she's 17yrs old and now that I have the internet, I can look up how to measure for a saddle so I can ride!

Other bad news would be my laced black Cochin, sister to the all black Cochin, got sick the day after the fox came. She couldn't use her legs and in the end she gave up on life. I'm not too sure what happened, no missing feathers or wounds.

I tossed in a nice amount of $ into the duck pen. Not too sure on it's size, but about 20ft by 40ft or so. They had a much smaller one, but it became a mud hole real fast. The ducks can't be free either because of the day hunting fox. But they are pretty happy with the new room and little pool. The only time they don't run from me is when they see me filling up their feed tray. They come waddling over making wary quacks and giving me dirty looks, lol.

The pony escaped this past Saturday, took forever to catch him, he doesn't like his halter, neither do I. It has a brass triangle on the end of the strap and gets stuck and is heck to get off or on. He escaped the next morning and I called off work. Eventually I was able to fix the part of the fence he was able to slip through.

Cellar has a big green frog living in it. House had a mouse, but I think I sealed all the holes it was coming in through. We are still in boxes, mainly the kitchen items. Bought one cabinet the other day, need to get a few more, then we can buy a counter top. Painted some more interior trim white and doors. Finally covered the Hell Raiser Red front door! It was so ugly! But the bathroom is still that awful color...Water pressure still isn't that great, I'm trying to avoid tossing out $500 to have 1.5ft of metal pipes replaced for as long as I can. Since if that doesn't fix the problem, pretty sad $500 was tossed out with the trash. Speaking of trash, we finally live close enough to a major town to have trash service and it's wonderful!

Exterior paint is slow going, it started to rain for 3 days straight right in the middle of a good painting streak! The front's first level is done, added some pretty hanging red vine plants to the porch. I'd say we are only 1/6th of not less of the way done, lol.

I think that's all I have to update for now. Will add pictures when I can.

[​IMG]

2. Celtic Chick

Celtic Chick Overrun With Chickens

Apr 7, 2011
    SE Wis
    Welcome back! So good to hear from you again.
    Sorry to hear the bad news, but very happy to hear about the good. Sounds like you will be quite busy for a while.
    I can't wait to see some pics. Hope you are doing a lot of before-and-after shots.
    Good luck to you, and hope to hear from you again soon! [​IMG]

3. Momagain1

Momagain1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2011
    Central IL
    w/b!!!!

Cant wait for pics!
    Sounds like you are gonna be uber busy!

4. secuono

May 29, 2010
    Virginia
    Here's Yuki, she insisted on being shown off.
    [​IMG]

Duckies!
    [​IMG]

Where they roost if they can get up that high.
    [​IMG]

Right wall w/area for older chicks. Under them on the floor are 3 nest boxes that section off the juvies hiding corner. There's a Jap Roo who protects them.
    [​IMG]

Head on, board is now sectioned off like the other side for chicks that are in the house, once they get bigger.
    [​IMG]

Left side w/nests.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This rooster is available for free adoption!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. Chickmate

Chickmate Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2009
    SE Michigan
    Welcome back! So glad you're getting things set up in the new place. It sounds like you have been and will be suuuuuper busy for a while! Everyone looks happy as long as you can keep the fox and any other predators out! Good luck and keep us updated. [​IMG]

6. Celtic Chick

Apr 7, 2011
    SE Wis
    Yuki is one beautiful cat! No wonder she wants you to show her off. [​IMG]
    Wow, have you got the chickens! That brown hen in your 6th picture is beautiful (she's on the floor in front of the green bucket). What breed is she?
    That rooster you want to rehome sure has a stink-eye going. [​IMG] He has some nice coloring.
    Nice looking ducks. They look like they like their new home.
    Thank you for posting the pics! Hope that didn't take you most of the day. [​IMG]
    Did I ever send you that article about the guineas chasing off a fox?
    http://www.motherearthnews.com/Happy-Homesteader/Chicken-Predators-Real-Chicken-Enemies.aspx

7. secuono

May 29, 2010
    Virginia
    Quote:Not sure, I got a bunch of chicks last fall and very few were pure bred like they were supposed to be. She and another lay pinkish eggs, though.
    Took be about an hour to put them on facebook, now I can't remember my password, lol.
    Yea, I got the email about the quail, haven't read it yet, net just takes forever..

Better pics of her below.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 19, 2011
  8. Celtic Chick

Apr 7, 2011
    SE Wis
    Thank you so much for posting the pics. I'm not sure what she is either, but I think she is very pretty.
    Basically the article was about a poultry farmer who had a fox checking out her property until her guinea hens saw him & chased him off with their calls. I guess guineas are wonderful watchdogs, er, birds.

9. secuono

May 29, 2010
    Virginia
    Cleaned out the coop yesterday, along with some planting and grass cutting. They got to free range for a few hrs again.
    Btw, the pony likes to attack every other animal. He almost killed the dobie, but the dobie has to learn to keep his distance and run when he is being chased...not submit and take the beating...lol.
    Pics of the newer coop inside later. Hoping to take new, good pics of the horses today, too!
    Been making my own grass hay last few days. Should be done drying by tonight and then I can bag it and use it as I need to. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by