I'm back

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by ChickenObsession, Jul 18, 2019.

1. ChickenObsession

ChickenObsession Songster

Jul 5, 2018
    It's been awhile to since I've been on backyard chickens hi everybody I've gone through four flocks of chickens from backyard chickens this year I meant I bought four different clocks I have hatched eggs with my Cochin man I've gone through a lot I post them pictures this is what I've been up to and I have not had any casualties in my flock except one duck this winter and for some reason my speckled Sussex died and I have no idea what was wrong with her IMG_20190715_155423.jpg IMG_20190715_155423.jpg

2. Helloworld

Helloworld Songster

Jul 17, 2018
    Down on the Suwannee River
    Don’t beat yourself up. Chickens sometimes die just looking at them wrong. Then there are predators from the sky and ground. Try to keep waterfowl separate from chickens due to salmonella cross from waterfowl. Keep going, it takes time to figure all this out. It is good you came back and all the information here will help and all of us are here if you can’t find what you need.
    Sending prayers your way and no worries ok?

ChickenObsession likes this.
  3. ChickenObsession

Jul 5, 2018
    Do you know very much about feathered foot birds and treating them for bumblefoot right now I have a blue Cochin with inflamed foot feathers I'm wrapping her feet after treating for bumblefoot her bumblefoot is doing a lot better since I used a product called pred when I wrap them but when I unwrapped them her feet were swollen and red and inflamed and I'm worried they're going to get infected my vet is never around very much and it's hard to get a hold of him and I'm not sure if he knows about feathered foot birds and how this happened so I'm looking for a thread on here about the subject if you have any information please let me know thank you

HuffleClaw likes this.
  4. Helloworld

Helloworld Songster

Jul 17, 2018
    Down on the Suwannee River
    I have black Copper Marans so yes I do! Lol

Feather-legged birds are more prone but its about keeping feet clean and good animal husbandry. I cut a small incision and get hard white pus out. Its really hard and round. Sometimes, it won’t be there and that’s because its a new wound but we still cut it open just a bit, drain and put stepic powder to stop bleeding. Then I personally put Curad Silver solution 1% that you can get at a store or online. It is a one ounce tube. I buy through Amazon. The reason I use this is because it is an anti-bacterial infection and silver eats that. No peroxide because it will only make hole bigger and no wrapping. Practice more cleaning of coop floor as well as look at height of perches if you have them. They should not be square unless their entire foot can stand on top of it. The two main causes of bumblefoot are too high of perches and floor not clean enough. So with feathered legged birds if poo not kept up it sticks to the feathers and now you have a problem.
    Hope this helps. There is also a search engine button at top... looks like magnifying glass if you did not see that if you put anything in you will find all kinds of help. Im glad to help anytime.

ChickenObsession likes this.
  5. ChickenObsession

Jul 5, 2018
    20190718_163921.jpg I just took her out of her crate and looked at her in her feet are getting better I think here is a picture of her silk I'm soaking her in warm Epsom salt then I'm going to put coconut oil on her feet it's mixed with just one drop of oregano oil I hope that's okay to to prevent infection I'm not going to wrap her I'm going to put her back in her dog crate with pine shavings thank you for all of your advice and thanks for telling me not to use peroxide I have been

Helloworld likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: