I'm breeding chickens and I need advice.

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by GCEdward, Feb 26, 2013.

1. GCEdward

GCEdward New Egg

Feb 26, 2013
    I've decided to try and breed chickens for a science project but I don't know what breed to get. I'm looking for a strong chicken that matures quickly and is very broody. I was thinking of getting Naked Neck Turkens because I read that they are weather and disease resistant, as well as broody and good egg and meat producers. Unfortunately I can't find out how long it takes them to mature enough to breed. I'm trying to breed for completely naked chickens but I have a maximum of two years to do it. Does anyone know how long it takes Turkens to mature or have any other breed suggestions?

2. brahmabreeder

brahmabreeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2013
  3. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
  4. mine never go broody, I wish one would, but oh well.

5. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan [​IMG]

Two years may be a little ambitious - you can generally expect to turn around one generation in no less than 8-10 months. You first must wait for the birds to mature to an age where you can judge their qualities, and this alone can be over a year for some breeds. If you look in the Chicken Breeds section of the Forum, you may find a thread for Naked Necks.

6. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Hello and welcome to BYC [​IMG] I have seen pics of completely bald, featherless chickens here... but don't ask me where! LOL Why don't you look around the breeds section and use the tools to narrow down your breeds according to broodiness, weather tolerance etc? Go into the breeds section and look on the left hand side of the screen:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/products/category/chicken-breeds

7. thasista

thasista Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2011
    KY
    My Coop
    Hi from Kentucky!![​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome to BYC!! [​IMG] Glad you joined us!! [​IMG]