I'm bummed...

superjules75

In the Brooder
10 Years
Oct 5, 2009
Austin, Texas
I raised 3 pullets from day-old chicks and right before they started laying (still aren't at 24 weeks), a dog got in and killed one and injured another. We noticed new blood spots on the injured one and separated the uninjured one into the garage. The problem is that the injured BO kept scratching at her face and causing more injuries. My husband insisted we reintegrate because the EE in the garage was stressed and losing weight, but now, the BO (whose injured eye was finally looking normal again despite the self inflicted injuries) is getting pecked and her eye is hurt again. She was outside free ranging with the EE and just put herself to bed in the coop early. I think she is dying but I don't know what to do. I wish I knew somebody with no chickens I could give the BO to so she could just heal...but not at the expense of the EE. Suggestions? Please...

Hi there.....I've read our posts for a few months now and those girls are putting you through the ringer! You are trying so hard to get them well and then something else happens. I know you don't want to 'get rid' of them but maybe bring them to an animal rescue league and give them away. Those two girls just don't get along. That's the only suggestion I have for you. I hope things work out. I'll keep you in my prayers because you've been through the ringer lately. I don't advocate giving away animals when things get rough but I can tell from your other posts that you are at your wits end.

Hopefully someone will have a better solution than mine.

Take care of yourself.

Thanks! I appreciate your suggestions. I may call the animal rescue about the injured BO. I don't want her to die but I'm not sure what else I can do. I will keep the EE though because there is no reason not to do so. I'm so sad all of this has happened.

Can you put a separate cage in the coop? Maybe you can put them in 2 cages in the garage. Let them them see each other during the healing process but not be able to harm one another.

Back
Top Bottom