1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I'm clipping wings *ugh* Diagrmas , Advice, and info wanted

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Goat_Walker, Jan 17, 2010.

1. Goat_Walker

Goat_Walker I Am THE Crazy Duck Lady

Jul 9, 2008
    Maryland
    Well My three scovie hens are now at the neighbors pond. The rain has made my ducks crazy.

SO As soon as I get them home I'm clipping wings. I hate to do that to their beautiful feathers but... I want them to stay home and live.

So - DO I have to use a special cutting tool or can I just use scissors?? Anyone have a diagram to show me??

2. rainplace

rainplace Interstellar Duck Academy

Here ya go:

[​IMG]

Sharp scissors will work fine [​IMG]

3. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

Just like rainplace showed. Just clip one side & it makes them lopsided, and only the longer flight feathers. They don't really look too bad that way either....

One of my clipped girls: (right side clipped)

[​IMG]

Some people think its a good idea to hack both wings... example of BAD clipping: (IMO)

[​IMG]

4. duckluck

duckluck Dulcimyrh Ducks

Oct 22, 2009
    Illinois
    Clipping just one wing makes it much harder for them to fly. [​IMG]

5. 1lpoock

1lpoock Spruce Creek Waterfowl

Apr 20, 2009
    Sandusky, Ohio
    If you clip both wings they will regain balance, only clip one. And if you do the beauty clip (clip all but the outer two) they will also look even better.

6. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

I have a friend that does the "beauty clip" & the birds do still look really nice.

7. Goat_Walker

Jul 9, 2008
    Maryland
    By Beauty clip do you mean all the long flight feathers except the outer two???

Edited to ask if i could cut at the base of the feather where it meets the quil instead of the middle of the feather or will that be too much pressure??

Last edited: Jan 17, 2010
  8. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

Yeah, i believe so, at least thats how my friend does it.
    ETA:

Here's a pic, Munster had a beauty clip(very natural looking):
    [​IMG]

I have a few birds to clip, maybe i can do it today and get some pictures for you if you think that would help. I just clip the flight feathers on one side but can show a beauty clip too. just let me know. [​IMG]

9. allanimals21

allanimals21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2009
    MN
    Quote:Bleenie what color do you call him? I have a drake just like that...I have no idea how to tell what color any of mine are considered. Aside from the obvious chocolate, blue, and black. lol
    [​IMG]Here he is.

Sorry Goat Walker for stealing your thread here

10. Goat_Walker

Jul 9, 2008
    Maryland
    Oh That would be GREAT Bleenie! Thanks! I have one hen home already but the other two scovie hens are still at the neighbors. I'll go get the tomorrow hopefully if i can get them on one side of the pond.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by