I'm Cold and Sick, yet my hens act like they are in the tropics!!! :-/

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Ema, Dec 11, 2010.

1. Ema

Ema Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2010
    N. Ontario CANADA
    So its been rather chilly up here lately, and I went and got myself a nasty cold, [​IMG] I feel uber sick with no energy!!
    todays temp outside was -27C (-16.6F). I dragged my butt out there and collected the eggs this am and they were all running around bawking at me and waiting for them to be let out and given their Boss and scratch, not a care in the world. Tonight and first thing tomorrow morning they are calling for -32C (-26F) this is mid january early Feb. weather for us, its looking like its going to be a long cold winter this year....so with all that said...

I want to be a chicken with all those nice fluffy feathers to keep me warm even in these cold temps so I can make chicken Angels out in the snow and have someone feed me yummy food!! [​IMG] [​IMG]

How are your chickens coping with the cold??

2. HeatherLynn

HeatherLynn Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2009
    Kentucky, Cecilia
    Mine are coping by eating me out of house and home and laying record numbers of eggs.

3. Ema

Jun 4, 2010
    N. Ontario CANADA
    hahahaha, mine have become little piggies too....they sure love alfalfa pellets turned into hot mush, lol....

and I have been getting my 21/21 eggs every day even in this cold...but it is like 10 degrees warmer in their coop though

4. English Chick

English Chick English Mum

Jun 27, 2008
    Cheshire UK
    Mine are "piggin" out on everything and anything... eating like crazy.... but laying well and looking really healthy... hope you feel better soon!

5. woodmort

woodmort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    Quote:We're not getting temps that low--yet--only 0 F but with a week with highs in the mid20's (until today) plus LES every day we're getting January stuff too. I'm figuring that January will be warm for two reasons: first these things tend to even out and second, our local weatherman said December was going to be mild and January below normal and he hasn't been right--ever. He just makes longterm forecasts that are so far ahead everyone forgets what he said--like the number of hurricanes that were going to hit last summer.
    My chickens, on the other hand, are thriving very well in all this and laying like mad.

6. Ema

Jun 4, 2010
    N. Ontario CANADA
    Quote:We're not getting temps that low--yet--only 0 F but with a week with highs in the mid20's (until today) plus LES every day we're getting January stuff too. I'm figuring that January will be warm for two reasons: first these things tend to even out and second, our local weatherman said December was going to be mild and January below normal and he hasn't been right--ever. He just makes longterm forecasts that are so far ahead everyone forgets what he said--like the number of hurricanes that were going to hit last summer.
    My chickens, on the other hand, are thriving very well in all this and laying like mad.

hahahaha Woodmort, our weather forecaster yesterday wrote a statement saying that we have a winter storm coming and he couldn't exactly predict the temps, or how much snow if any we were going to get because the weather was making it difficult for him to predict with any certainty [​IMG] but he did say that it was going to snow 10-15 Cm starting saturday morning. This morning it was Cold but the sun was shining bright and the sky was nice clear....I had to laugh at his statement, a forecaster who can't forecast the weather!! [​IMG] I think he should find a new career!!

7. woodmort

woodmort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    In what other job can you be wrong 60% of the time and still get paid?

8. Mattemma

Mattemma Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    I have to stand outside with my hens(hawk) and I am suprised how much the EE's like scratching out in the run.The red sex link hens stayed in the shed,but now they too are outside more. I can handle a half hour to hour of standing out there before I lock them back up. I am seriously going to save $$$$ for secure run supplies.It was 42 yesterday,so I sat and read a book.Today it will rain and snow,so the girls are getting no outdoor time other than the time it takes me to feed,water, and collect eggs!

If I had your temps there is NO WAY I would stand outside for any length of time.I don't even have snow boots.

Speedy healings!

9. Ema

Jun 4, 2010
    N. Ontario CANADA
    well I just posted another topic,

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=428762

the
    weather guy just narrowed this storm down, I am so fearful my chickens will freeze or get sick... -38F I never got around to insulating the barn cause Dh got laid off, their coop is inside the barn, but its pretty chilly in there already and even though we collected the eggs pretty early today, they froze in no time, so I am going to feed those to them, we gave them more straw today in hopes it will keep them warmer. these temps are supposed to last a few days with a huge dumping of snow. I don't know what I should do for them in these temps or if they will be ok :-/

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by