I'm confused about button quail colors

Shellybean02

Chirping
Aug 30, 2015
What confuses me specifically is the difference between red breasted and blue face red breasted. One of my hens looks like a regular red breasted. I also have a hen and roo that look like blue face red breasteds. Do blue face red breasted buttons carry the blue face gene? What does a male regular red breasted look like, or is it just a wild colored male with extra red on him? All help is appreciated!

Hi there

A red breasted roo is just that - a regular looking roo where the red color extends to the breast and possibly a bit further than usual in other directions as well. You can see a picture of one here:
http://featheredobsessions.com/CBBQ_-_RED_BREASTED.php
That one lacks some of the white markings around the face, but I don't think that is caused by influence of the blue face gene. It seems that many red breasted males look like that, but I have seen pictures of some I believe to be red breasted, with normal head markings too.

Alright. I will try and post pictures of my quail. Thanks for responding!

I'll post a picture of my roo when i get a good current pic.

Never mind that, I was able to open up the picture you posted and saw that it looks exactly like Tango(my roo)

Very interestingly looking hens! The top one does seem to have red breasted markings, no blue face, but its color seems to be very light. I don't see anything red breasted in the second one, but I don't know what to call her color..

Okay, I guess what I'm really asking is, what would the male version of X-Ray look like? Kilo and Tango looked similar as babies, so I know that they are both the same color, whatever it is called (red breasted, golden red breasted, black or blue face red breasted, darth vader...). But X-Ray became a mommy - Tango is daddy - and has two chicks that look like her (with possibly a few more coming along soon) and I want to know what the males will look like. I have a good idea of what the colors of the ones that look like their dad Tango and their aunt Kilo, when they were chicks, will look like. As a reminder here are the quails' colors:
LL
LL
tn_240_a4ca262c22ed0d94226311ad42f2490a.JPG.png
(from:CBBQ - RED BREASTED, thanks DK newbie!)
X-Ray mommy, twins look like mini her. Kilo auntie, one twin looks like mini her. Tango daddy color, one twin looks like mini him.
Hold up... are X-Ray and Kilo the same color, just a different variation??? And that would mean that the males are the same for both colors? If that is true... MIND BLOWN!
I can't get ahead of myself yet hehe.
All help appreciated!

Tango is normal red-breasted. Kil looks to be a light version of red-breast as well. X Ray is either a golden pearl or normal hen. If I could see a close up of her feather pattern I could tell for sure. :)

So they are different versions of the same color... woah... good to know! Can golden pearl chicks look like red breasted chicks? X-Ray had a very dark head and back, with a bit of yellow on her belly and chin. pair6chicks3.jpg (800×600) she looked a bit like these babies, but with a few feathers coming in and a lot darker. Dont golden pearl chicks look golden with black stripes going down their backs?

Back
Top Bottom