i'm confused about necrospy results...

7kids12hens

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jul 20, 2011
I got final necropsy results in today, and it seems my rooster died from a severe trachea infection due to somthing lodged in mucous plug in his throat. He had pneumonia, which caused the mucous. But what caused the pnemonia seems to be a bit of a mystery. He was negative for mareks, avian flu, laryngotracheitis, and mycoplasma. The final report states that they were able to isolate a bacteria, but not identify it. What the heck does that mean? He stated also in the reprt that no other birds were in danger. Biff died 12 days ago. I now have a hen BO, 1 year old, who's subdued somewhat. She didn't come out to forage when I opened the gate. She was asleep on a perch. She was gaping as she slept. Ithought I would be able to easily pick her up to apply some oil to her legs (she has mites I'm pretty sure-raised scales and knots on one foot). She went crazy and sqwuaked like a maniac. Caught me off guard and I. Let her go. She's never liked to be handled. I got a very good look at her nose though. It was perfectly clean and dry. Her eyes were not puffy or swollen either. I've not been anywhere with them and I've not added any more birds. Do you think the vet missed something-he specializes in poultry disease? Could this be associated with molting or the mites. By the afternoon her cone was red again and she more active, but she did the same thing yesterday. Maybe I'm over analyzing given the recnt death of my rooster.

so sorry for your loss. those mites can be really hard on the birds. They break their immune systems down. Best to resolve the mite problem first, isolate your hen from the other and give her extra tlc. Just a thought. Goodluck!

I'm no expert on pneumonia in chickens but in people it can develop from something as minor as aspirating a little fluid. If Biff (I love that name, so rooster-ish), for any reason, had fluid or anything he may have inhaled could have irritated his lungs and that lead to his developing pneumonia. The fact that no other birds are in danger sort of lends support to this theory - it's not a case of a respiratory infection turning into pneumonia but rather pneumonia developing from a non-contagious condition such as aspirated fluids, etc.

And I agree, mites are hard on the chickens. They weaken them and make them more susceptible to illness.

I don't think your hen has an illness necessarily (especially since her nose looks clear) - she could be worn down from the mites. Definitely isolate and treat her.

I am sorry for the loss of your rooster.
hugs.gif

Great info. I will start on mite treatment in the morning. I have yogurt and oatmeal on hand. Is that good enough for a energy booster. I won't be able to buy anything until Friday, so I have to use what I have on hand.

Oh my goodness. A new worm. I thought after 7 kids and every animal in the world, I would know about every kind of parasite. That just goes to show we always have something to learn. I'm on the gape worms now. Thanks.

I would imagine your rooster died form an aspiration pneumonia. Other pneumonia would have had to been spread by another bird. An aspiration pneumonia will start with fluid in the lungs, and bacteria can build from there. Sorry about your roo.

Quote:
I was reading this like a foreign body was lodged in his throat, is that correct? It could have easily caused the irritation, bacteria pneumonia and subsequent infection leading to death. IF that is the correct interpretation, it wouldn't be a leap to think that perhaps your ill-acting hen also ate the same culprit and is now experiencing the same course.

Back
Top Bottom