I'm Confused - Broody Hen, Chicks and Vaccinations

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Catalina, Feb 23, 2009.

1. Catalina

Catalina Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2007
    Minnesota
    I'm letting my broody hen hatch out a few chicks.
    If they hatch, do i have to worry about vaccinating them?

I bought my hens in 2007 from MPC and I think they were vaccinated, but I don't know what for.
    Also, with some vaccinations the birds are carriers for life??
    How does that work with chicks?

The eggs are purchased from someone else - is there any cross contamination through the egg?

I'm confused.......help![​IMG]

2. Omran

Omran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2008
    Bagdad KY
    I will vaccinate them, just better safe than sorry.

3. CityClucks

CityClucks The Center of a 50 Mile Radius

Jan 31, 2009
    Tulsa, OK
    I have this question, too. My plan is for my little flock to be closed (no live birds in or out), and I did not order my chicks be vaccinated at the hatchery. If I add clucks I plan to hatch them, but since I won't have a rooster I'll be getting fertile eggs from other sources, and I don't know about the vaccination rules for that...hope someone who knows tells us!

4. sugarbush

sugarbush Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2008
    Lexington KY
    I would not vaccinate unless you are comfortable giving a Sub Q injection to a terrified chick. The hatcheries use a mist that the chicks breath, but that is not available to the normal individual.

5. Catalina

Catalina Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2007
    Minnesota
    Okaaaaaay..... so one vote yes to vaccinating and one vote no.

[​IMG]

6. sugarbush

sugarbush Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2008
    Lexington KY
    I don't get birds vaccinated, my flock is closed and if they did contract anything I don't have a problem with replacing them. Some people will take a chicken to the vet and pay hundreds of dollars to treat a 5-10 dollar bird. If you have a closed flock I wouldn't worry about it unless you place a very high personal value on your birds and are comfortable with giving the injections yourself. One thing you have to consider is the likelyhood that one bird will wiggle and you end up giving yourself or a helper the vaccination. What will the impact on you be from the vaccine?

The question you asked about protection passing from mother to egg is interesting and I do not know the answer to that. For a mammal the protection last 6 months and comes from the connection between mother and fetus. A chick does not have that connection in the egg, so I doubt that any antibodies are transmitted to the egg.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by