1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I'm confused on it's gender and curious of the breed

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by HomesteadHump, Jan 8, 2016.

1. HomesteadHump

HomesteadHump Out Of The Brooder

Jan 8, 2016
    The Mitten
    Sometimes she acts like a hen, other times like a rooster. Everyone I run into seems to have differing opinions on her sex so I thought I'd ask the experts! Also curious on what you guys think the breed is?

2. HomesteadHump

Jan 8, 2016
    The Mitten
    [​IMG]

Hopefully this picture worked better

3. rebrascora

rebrascora Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2014
    Consett Co.Durham. UK
    It's definitely a cockerel and I'd say it's a mixed breed bird.

4. Rhodebar Lover

Rhodebar Lover Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2015
    Up North
    He is undoubtedly a cockerel and looks to be a Red Sex Link. :)

5. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Water Under the Bridge Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Mixed breed cockerel

6. Devin23

Devin23 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 23, 2015
    Southwest Wisconsin
    Definatly a rooster! I'd say a mix breed!

7. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Mixed breed cockerel.

8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    mixed breed cockerel

9. HomesteadHump

Jan 8, 2016
    The Mitten
    Thank you guys so much it appears unanimous! Well this brings up another question probably for another board but I'll stick with you guys first. This means I have only 5 hens and 2 roosters, this white one does his own thing for the most part, they are all living peacefully together, but the other is definetly dominant. Is it unwise to keep both boys as I do not want to brew a bad situation. We are torn because we actually like both roosters a lot!

10. rebrascora

rebrascora Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2014
    Consett Co.Durham. UK
    I'm assuming that both birds are still juvenile, If so, their temperament may change as they grow into themselves. If they free range you will be more likely to get away with keeping both males but the pullets will probably get a hard time from two of them and that could cause feather loss and stress which can trigger other health problems. If they are penned up, you could come home to a blood bath one day.

If you really wanted to keep them both without too much concern you could build a bachelor pad for the lads away from the girls and they are more likely to live in harmony that way, when they have no ladies to fight for.

@Rhodebar Lover ..... it crossed my mind too that it might be a red sex link....which of course is still a mixed breed bird.

Maybe if the OP could tell us where he got it from, it might shed some more light on it's possible background.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by