Im confused on what to do about one of my hens. Pls help.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Junglefowlboss, Mar 26, 2017.

1. Junglefowlboss

Junglefowlboss Out Of The Brooder

Jun 8, 2016
    Mableton,GA
    I have a hen who will sleep on the eggs and act like shes broody puffing up and making the little broody noises but she gets on the nest an hour before dark and gets off in the morning and doesnt return till dark again. What could this be?

2. Junglefowlboss

Jun 8, 2016
    Mableton,GA
    She doesnt show any symptoms of being ill or in anyway hurt.

3. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

Possibly she will go Broody soon? Some like to play the part and practise being Broody and never become that hormonal...;)..My Buff Orpington has been playing that game since January...She gets all puffed up and growls over the eggs as I collect them and will lay in the empty box for hours ..Next time I look she is normal...I have Three Broody Hens with Chicks...She just likes pretending..;)....

Cheers!

4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Most my hens puff up and growl if I take eggs from under them in the nest.
    If she's only spending the nights in the nest, she may be being bullied off the roost by the other birds. Not a good idea to leave eggs in nests overnight.

Do you have plenty of roost length...say about 1 foot per bird?
    Watch your birds as they go to roost and see what is happening.
    You may need more roost length and/or to block the nests near roost time.

Knowing more about your flock(numbers, ages, genders),
    and your coop (size in feet by feet and pics!) might help us help you figure it out.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2017
  5. Junglefowlboss

Jun 8, 2016
    Mableton,GA
    She doesnt get bullied. She isnt low in the pecking order either. But I found out that she went broody on 12 eggs. Ill post pics when they hatch. I cant wait till they hatch.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by