I'm Confused!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by starchick2, May 18, 2011.

1. starchick2

starchick2 Out Of The Brooder

May 6, 2011
    My chicks should begin to hatch next Wednesday. How long should I leave them in the incubator before removing them? I have 23 eggs currently incubating, so if some hatch a day or two before the others is it okay to keep them in the incubator with the unhatched eggs?

Thanks!

2. satay

satay oz-e-chick

Sep 2, 2008
    Esk Qld Australia
    Yes thats fine they can go up to 48 hours or so from the time the first ones hatch. The sack that they absorb on hatching is enough to sustain them for a few days.

3. jcfuente51

jcfuente51 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2011
    Quote:X2

im hatching now well not really but im on lockdown with 14 eggs [​IMG]

4. satay

satay oz-e-chick

Sep 2, 2008
    Esk Qld Australia
    Quote:X2

im hatching now well not really but im on lockdown with 14 eggs [​IMG]

I wish i was that far along I have eggs in the bator that will have been their a week on Saturday. Prob should not be hatching now as it is almost winter but who can stand an empty bator lol.

5. jcfuente51

jcfuente51 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2011
    hehe true im not even finish with these clutch of eggs and i already have the next cluth "naked neck babys " lol [​IMG]

6. RonnieAtkeson

RonnieAtkeson Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2008
    Tahlequah Oklahoma
    Chicks can comfortably survive 3 days after absorbing the yolk. Unforunetly on some of my larger hatches ive had to leave them in 3 days. I prefer not to go over 2 days though, just cause i want them introduced to water/starter asap. That incredible yolk they absorb is like a steriod shot to a chick.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by