I'm considering a crossbow...

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by cmjust0, Jan 20, 2010.

1. cmjust0

cmjust0 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2009
    Central KY
    Just wondered if any of y'all hunt with a crossbow, and how you like it....or not, if that's the case. I currently hunt early and late muzzleload, plus modern gun seasons. I'm interested in archery, but I'm not big on tracking wounded deer. Found five guys doing that on my farm just this past weekend on account of a few not-great bow shots.. More on that in a sec.. [​IMG]

There are about three weekends of crossbow that don't overlap with muzzleload/rifle, so it would sorta be like an extra season for me.

As for the deer trackers...I'd given the shooter permission to do that on an earlier occasion, on account of him saying he shot one that hopped my fence and he didn't come looking. I don't need coyote bait on my land, so I told him he could cross if it happened again. I thought that if such an event ever came to pass, they'd at least knock on the door and let me know what was going on.....nope. My LGD went nuts and I saw a couple of guys out walking on the neighbor's property.. Next thing I know, I see guys walking on my property and I'm like....WTH??

Is it just me, or should they not have come and let me know what was going on? I would have, if for no other reason than to make sure the same guy still lived there.. [​IMG]

I told them that I didn't have the dog when I gave permission, and that I forgot to tell him. [​IMG] He's in a different enclosure from where they were, and they're lucky for that, but I made sure to say that he may not always be confined.. After looking at him...pretty sure they'll knock next time.

[​IMG]

Anyway...crossbows.. Like'em, love'em, or hate'em?

2. michickenwrangler

michickenwrangler To Finish Is To Win

Jun 8, 2008
    NE Michigan
    My husband has one and he loves it. I'll have to see what model it is. He's not a gun man (1/4 Blackfoot) and prefers "silent but deadly" his two weapons of choice are his Hungarian made primitive compound bow and his crossbow. The latter always delivers a nice, clean kill. He doesn't have to do a lot of tracking.

I'm not sure what KY laws are, but here in MI you can hunt with it during firearm season and can only use it during bow if you have a handicap permit. We don't have a separate crossbow season.

My uncle also used to hunt with a crossbow when he was younger. He's getting old and lazy so he doesn't hunt anymore.

3. Iowa Roo Mom

Iowa Roo Mom Resistance Is Futile

Apr 30, 2009
    Keokuk County
    Quote:In Iowa it is only legal to hunt with a crossbow if you have a handicap, so I'll stick to my Swithcback....

I'm curious... When you say you want to get into archery but aren't big on tracking wounded deer... What technical advantages or other advantages do you see that a crossbow has, over say, a good compound bow?

Last edited: Jan 20, 2010
  4. michickenwrangler

michickenwrangler To Finish Is To Win

Jun 8, 2008
    NE Michigan
    DH hunts with both and I've seen deer drop after only a few staggered paces when shot with a crossbow. The bolt speed is A LOT faster than a bow

5. meathook

meathook Out Of The Brooder

May 21, 2009
    Crossbow or regular bow it still requires proper shot placement. There is nothing magic about a crossbow. A compound bow in the hands of a competent archer actually is more efficient and often more accurate. You still have to judge distance properly and make well placed shots. The major advantages of a crossbow are 1. They do not need to be drawn in the presence of the game animal. 2. They can be rested on something to get a more steady shot.

I think the problem with crossbows is that people tend to think they are rifles that shoot an arrow. They are not. Shooting too far or trying to shoot it as if it were a rifle are mistakes. A deer can move a long way in the time it takes an arrow from a compound or a crossbow to travel 40 yards. Try this sometime, tie a balloon to a string on a windy day in the woods and try to shoot it with a bow.

Having said all this I hunt with a traditional bow I like getting close that to me is the challenge. I have seen plenty of animals walk a short distance and drop using my traditional equipment. Hunting with more primitive weapons in my view is about accepting the challenge. I think crossbows take a lot of the challenge of bow hunting out of the equation. Just my .02

6. Iowa Roo Mom

Iowa Roo Mom Resistance Is Futile

Apr 30, 2009
    Keokuk County
  7. meathook

meathook Out Of The Brooder

May 21, 2009
    That was my point about efficiency. A modern compound bow at 70 pounds depending on arrow weight and other factors might shoot 300-350 fps. A 175 pound compound would likely be in the same ball park. Speed isn't everything in bow hunting either.

8. cmjust0

Apr 30, 2009
    Central KY
    Quote:Technical advantages?...none, probably. It's just that I'm not an archer at all -- zero experience -- but I am a decent marksman with a rifle. Having investigated crossbows, compounds, and recurves alike, it was pretty clear I'd have the best chance of putting one down quickly and for good with a crossbow since it's so similar to a rifle.

When I look at a compound bow, on the other hand...well, I don't even know where to begin! Don't get me wrong...I'd love to be a great bowhunter, but I get the feeling that requires having a little bit of a passion for it.. Frankly, I'm at a point in my life where I can't afford another passion!

[​IMG] [​IMG]

9. cmjust0

Apr 30, 2009
    Central KY
    Quote:I'm not a competent archer. [​IMG] [​IMG]

Quote:Part of my problem this past season was trying to find a spot where I wouldn't get trampled.. I don't wear camo, nor do I try to conceal my scent...I don't even really make much effort to be particularly still or quiet.

I still had deer walk right up on me. We're just completely overrun.

Quote:Taking the challenge out, to me, is actually a positive.. I'm not a purist by any means...I'm just a busy guy who's overrun with deer, looking to extend his season by a few weekends a year.

That said, would you recommend a crossbow for someone like me who's looking purely for utility?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by