Im considering getting geese.....

Goat_Walker

I Am THE Crazy Duck Lady
11 Years
Jul 9, 2008
Maryland
Any suggestions on a breed?

Im interested in something that I would only need one or two of.

Id like if it could get along with my 4 ducks , as well as ducklings, so nothing aggressive .

Size doesnt matter
I heard that geese are good guard dogs, is t true? That would be awesome considering that Coyotes and neighbor dogs come around some times.
Id like to keep them on the same diet as my ducks as well.

If you could show me some picture of your geese, that would be awesome!

Some geese will honk when strangers come on your property but they're not attack dogs.
While some ganders can be mean and aggressive,
coyotes, fox and dogs are fully capable of killing geese.
You will need to keep them in a secure barn or shed at night to protect them from predators.
I would recommend a pair even if they're the same sex
since geese like being with their own kind and aren't peticularly fond of ducks or chickens.
Sebastopols, American Buff or Pilgrim geese might be less aggressive than say African or Chinese Geese.
Raising baby geese from day olds so they bond to you will make nice friendly pets but all ganders tend to get aggressive during the breeding season no matter how nice they are during the off season.
Geese are highly intelliegent and personable.
I wish I had gotten some much sooner in life.
You might want to read my raising waterfowl tip page on my website. Good luck!
smile.png

Thanks!
Actually, My Fowl are in enclosed pens 24/7, I just ment "guard dogs" as in they will notify my dogs by honking when something comes on the property.

Are there any kind of geese/goose that will do well with my ducks? I have plenty of sleeping places besides outside that would not require them sleeping with my ducks in winter when it is cold .( a few igloos as well as a large "duck hut" that coupe hold 3 full grown rottys)

Aggression during breeding season is nothing new to me, so ill be letting them have their space, no worries on that, but that might be some thing with my ducks. Would they try to breed with the ducks or the ducks with them?

They bite.

I
love.gif
geese.

They will run off ducks and show them who is boss. Geese don't often mix with other breeds in a too friendly manner. They are aloof until the others come to close.

Some ganders will bite during the breeding season but some just hiss.

I can't tell you what breed will like ducks.
Mine free range with my ducks but are separated from them at night. They don't seek out my ducks to go after them but if the ducks are in the pool and the geese want in they are dominant over the ducks. I can only speak from my personal experience. Some geese may be totally tolerant of ducks and some might try to kill them,
no matter the breed.

That's funny because my ducks totally dominate the geese and get the feed first. They're like little bowling balls and can get under the geese quickly!

I recommend Pilgrims to first time goose owners. They are calm, handsome and great parents. They tend to be a little less vandalous than my Embdens who are a close 2nd in my book.

As far as being 'agressive'. If you raise goslings in a brooder, they will imprint on you and be quite tame. But if you let geese hatch their own eggs, the goslings tend to be little bastards and the parents 'defend' them until they're a year old. It's more how you manage and care for them than the breed.

Geese are not watch animals. Any predator which would take a chicken will also take your geese. The diffrence being that you will likely hear your goose being killed, rather than just finding it in the morning. We trained all our geese to "go to bed" in a shed at night for their protection. Now that we have a flock of over 30, though, they generally sleep outside as we hear it if any dogs, coyotes, racoons, great horned owls come around.

Oh, one more thing. Geese (called "GOOSES" on our farm) are my favorite farm animal. They're hardly any work to raise and I find them endlessly entertaining. If I could retire today, I would spend a year writing a journal of what my geese did each day, because they're hysterical most of the time.

I dont "lock" My ducks up at night, they have free range of their pen day and night. So, If I went with Pilgrim geese, would I need to actually lock them up at night or just let them do as they wish?

As for letting them mate and hatch goslings, Im not sure what id do. Since mama duck is not fond of me, when she hatches her ducklings she tends to "push them out" onto the side of the nest and I then bring them to live inside for a week or two. They imprint on me and then when they are release back into the pen they get along great with mama, and she usually takes them right back. Of course I take them out everyday for "play time" with and with out the adults.

Ive never had a problem with Coons, Coyotes, Or dogs in my pen. Its actually right next to the house and our barn, so there is always a side light on at night. As for owls, Ive only ever seen one in the 3 years ie lived here. My only major threat was a copper head that showed up in my duck pen. But the fence is about... 4 1/2 ft tall and the gate is securely closed. we had oats in there once, so nothing can get in or out really without flying out. So, I think Ill take your advice and put them up at night, just as a precaution.

my chinese man-goose loves my ducks. he makes them go into the shed at night, and makes them go to the pond in good weather. he bites them if they take his food, but bite the chickens if the chickens take the duck food. He is protective of the ducks, and will charge me if I pick up one of the ducks... I love my goose.

Back
Top Bottom