I'm cooked rice

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by thylton48, Dec 31, 2016.

1. thylton48

thylton48 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 28, 2015
    south Louisiana
    Can chickens be feed uncooked rice. I have access to lots of it cheap

2. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Flock Master

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    Is it white or brown? Not much nutrient in rice, so I'd feed it very sparingly.

3. EggSighted4Life

EggSighted4Life Overrun With Chickens

Hi, welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

I never feed uncooked, but I don't know if it's actually harmful.

I do agree there isn't much nutrient so I would feed sparingly either way.

4. thylton48

thylton48 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 28, 2015
    south Louisiana
    If I'm not mistaken it has as much nutritional value as corn; especially brown rice. I live on southwest Louisiana and the birds flock around rice elevators to eat the spilled rice. Dose not seem to harm them but was wondering about poultry

5. EggSighted4Life

EggSighted4Life Overrun With Chickens

Problem with uncooked rice is once it starts to absorb water it doubles in size and could cause issues for any bird. Even though you think it isn't harming them, unless you follow and see how they are doing later, who's to say? I never knew how table scraps was effecting my dogs before I started picking up poo everyday. Table scraps always caused diarrhea. I don't feed them anymore.

I thought the corn had more protein, but .... it looks pretty close (brown). Seems as though the corn does have more vitamins and minerals available while being very close in protein. Has to look at the serving size as well to get a comparable value.

If you've got, use it... just try not to throw the balance off to far. [​IMG] For me, I would cook it, but we all have to experiment and find what works for us... or it don't work.

I might consider sprouting it! Increase the nutrient level and digestibility all around...

Maybe you can let me know how it goes.

6. hinlock

hinlock Out Of The Brooder

Nov 2, 2016
    Slidell La
    Welcome from Slidell

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by