I'm covered in duck chuck - yuck! and why?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by ejctm, Aug 6, 2010.

1. ejctm

ejctm Songster

Apr 25, 2009
    VILLAGE IN THE SHIRES
    Today, 3 of my 4 baby runner ducks (5 weeks old) vomited on me when I picked them up. It was basically loads of dirty looking water coming out of their bills and all over my clothes! I guess it was probably the muddy water they were drinking, but I am confused as to why they would bring it up in this way. Their crops seemed to be squishy and soft (probably full of water). they went straight back to the water and drank loads of it. I was feeding them peas and they did not puke up the peas, just the fluid. This has never happened before and they love their peas. Funny how puking did not affect the pea-love!

They free range and eat grass and I am feeding them on chick crumbs with added niacin and grit. They have been feasting a bit lately on the layer's pellets which is for my chickens - could this be relevant?

They free range over my lawn with my chickens and tortoises, and they all walk in each other's muck, but they are all healthy with no worms or anything.

Any advice on what caused it and how I can prevent it happening again (besides not picking them up of course). I used 2 hands and did not squeeze tight or anything around their necks. Bit of a mystery to me.

By the way, all the ducks appear healthy and happy and no discharge from eyes, nares, or vents.

2. katharinad

katharinad Overrun with chickens

I would not worry since they appear healthy, as long it does not happen again. Occasional vomiting is also ok. I see it in my dogs. They eat grass and bingo. It happens perhaps once per month with one of my dog so no worry. Some animals do it when it gets to hot, or if they are over heated. Others do it when something was wrong with the food or water. It's better to puke then to get sick. I would just watch out for anything else strange going on in addition to it.

3. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    It happens quite often when they have been gorging. Nothing to worry about when they have constant access to food and water. It happens more often when people remove food and water- When the ducks are provided with it they will gorge and often bring some back up especially if picked up.

4. ejctm

ejctm Songster

Apr 25, 2009
    VILLAGE IN THE SHIRES
    Thank you both for the sensible advice. They are certainly gorgers! Greedy little buggers really! [​IMG]

I'll watch for it happening again, which hopefully it won't.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by